Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Smoked Beer Can Turkey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Regulations of turkey smoking Reply with quote

As A Quality Control Inspector lets understand the rules.
You should never consume a turkey which has not achieved a smoked tempureture of 165...If said turkey is cooked to the required temp it will have a destinctive smoke ring and rather pink hue to the meat.
The beer will have a minuet flavor enhancement at best. perhaps engineering can find a more effective way to use beer,ingestion works well for Q.C.
It has been determined however that the BRINE is the decideding factor in flavor and should not be ignored.
There are many recipies and perhaps engineering can determine which offers one that can please the palate of the masses on a consistant basis.

Thanks for the debate,
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading and enjoying the recipes on this site for a while now, and when I decided to try "beer butt chicken", I checked to see if you guys had a better way of doing it. Sure enough, I learned to take the whole top off the can. My husband was surprised that I didn't just open it and pour out half. I told him, "No, I have to take the whole top off, pour it into a container while I mix herbs in the empty can, then fill it halfway with the beer." We are doing it right now with a chicken, will be excited to see how dinner turns out. Thanks for your always illuminating twists to cooking. I love engineers!

~Susan
The Joker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Beer Car additives Reply with quote

Try adding a little Jack Daniels and Tabasco to the beer. Adds a nice flavor.
SgtTrotter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Beer Can Turkey Reply with quote

My Weber is too small to accommodate a turkey sitting on the can like a chicken. Haven't tried this yet, but will before too long. How about laying the bird on it's back, like in the oven, and slide the can in horizontally AFTER making a slit in one side of sufficient width to allow adding whatever is wanted, and provide sufficient surface for pleanty of steaming?
Dan Machuga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: A better way to build your can for beer can turkey Reply with quote

After cutting off your lid to the beer can punch two holes on each side of the can, take a wire coat hanger cut the hook off ,streighten the rest of the hanger out and then bend the hanger in half.Take your beer can size it up to the bottom of the bird just to get an idea where the top of the can would be inside the cavitiy. Take your wire coat hanger thats bent in half and size it up from the neck to the holes in the can leave about a half an inch of coat hanger sticking out of the bird where the hanger is bent. The two ends of hanger will need to go into the holes in the can I cut each end about a half an inch longer to where the ends need to go into the can and bend them. I find it so much easier to move the bird around this way and you wont have to worry about the can falling out of your bird it works for me hope it works for you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Beer-butt chicken Reply with quote

I have been making beer-butt chicken for 14 years now. I use charcoal and direct heat because I usually have to do 4 to 5 at a time, that is how much everyone loves them. The meat literally falls off the bone. I stick a two or three inch piece of sausage in the neck so the steam doesn't escape. I like the beer because it seems to tenderize the chicken, but it's the herbs and spices I put in the beer that really does the flavoring. Just recently I used an orange soda that was out of this world. Sorry, but my spices and glaze is a secret.
evinrude

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Smoked Turkey Reply with quote

It seems most all receipes call for internal temp. of thigh to reach 180 degrees - 170 degrees for the breast. What say you about this? Thanks....... evinrude
IvanSX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: beer can turkey Reply with quote

Instead of drinking the rest of your 24 oz heiniken pour it int the drip pan thus you steam the outside of the turkey also

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a Beer club and recently we have learned to make a turkey exactly like this one but when I first cooked it I think I have skipped a few steps and I want to try again tomorrow following your recipe. Thanks a lot for posting this awesome thread.
Gabe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Beer Can Turkey (Pavo Borracho) Reply with quote

I have tried the beer can turkey and I have to say it is the juciest turkey you will ever eat if its cooked correctly. I started cooking my turkeys in a beer can about 5 years ago.

I never brined my turkeys and they came out perfect. I used a 24 ounce beer can and added my ingrdients in the beer after I took a drink or two. I use a light beer.

I use my trailer pit for these big birds and usually let them smoke for about 5-6 hours at about 200-250 degrees. I smoke them using mesquite. I NEVER use lighter fluid or charcoal.

Not only do you get the flavor of the beer and the ingredients, but you also get the flavor of the mesquite. You can kill 3 birds with one stone.

When I do the beer can method, I rotate my bird every hour, I also check the beer levels. When I cook my bird I notice that the beer does evaporate and I have to fill the can back to the original level.

One thing that I do before I put my dry rub on the bird is rub a generous amount of vegetable oil or olive oil all over the turkey. This makes the skin come out nice and crisp with that golden color. Then add your rub.

The leftover beer and ingredients make a great sauce. I add the beer to a sauce pan and heat. I then add water to cornstarch and form a paste and add it to the sauce pan. Stir well and let sit to thicken. If to thick add water or more beer. If you have last minute questions you can reach me at the following site.

Keep up the great work!

Gabe

www.southtexasbarbecue.com
illinifoodie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: this string Reply with quote

Tomorrow will be my first go at beer can bird. After reading this string, I thought I might add a flavor combo to your mix. I have used it with indirect heat and a steam pan on chicken before, and think I may try this with a can. Bird: chicken. Stuff under the skin: Paste of fresh basil, fresh (spicy greek) oregano, fresh garlic, salt and pepper (well, and a binder of some sort like unsalted butter). Then over that but still under the skin, paper thin slices of proscuitto or if you can get it capicola. If you have to cut the skin in a couple places to do this, just toothpick it back in place. Olive oil the outside of the skin. In the can a mixture of beer and sweet vermouth. Not sure of purportions because I have always just had a steam pan under chicken pieces before. The vermouth can be quite strong. I suppose at first I would try 1/3 vermouth 2/3 beer. Then I also use hickory smoke. Chips that have been soaked not chunks. Good luck, and if you try this please report back.
simon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Beer Can Turkey Reply with quote

Well it's 11 at night Christmas day in New Zealand, our guests have left, and the the resounding vote was a yes for the beer can turkey. Frankly it rocked. The rub made a huge difference but all the meat remained tender and juicy.

Great recipe.
illinifoodie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: this thread Reply with quote

ok ... last years experiment went well. I have a really good brine and a really good prep. This beer can turkey thing is awesome. Brine for 12 hrs or so. (ask for recipe) Cook on weber gas grill with smoker at 350 deg or so for about 3 hours or so. A loaded smoker box gives about an hour of hard smoke. there is also a sub cu rub of flavoured butter pre cook. I use half of a 24 oz can of beer with some lemon juice some worstershire, some garlic, some sage and some thyme. perhaps also a few allspice balls and a few peppercorns. In the beer that is. I just use a common american light lager. Just enough etoh to disolve soluable flavors and fume the boid with them. lips already smackin.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: epoxy in your turkey Reply with quote

there was mention also in the news of bisphenol-A in the coating used inside soda cans, a while back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_can#Composition

Aluminium cans often contain an internal coating to protect the aluminium from beverage corrosion. Despite this coating, trace amounts of aluminium can be degraded into the liquid, the amount depending on factors such as storage temperature and liquid composition.[6][7] Chemical compounds used in the internal coating of the can include types of epoxy resin.[8]
chrishohenwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: beer can turkey Reply with quote

Hi there. I am a noobie to this beer can turkey technique and was wondering if there is an approximate cooking time per pound. I realize bbqs all cook at different temperatures, but I'd like appreciate an approximate time.
The article shows a turkey, and a time of 4-4.5 hours, but doesn't say how large the bird was.
Thanks in advance.
Chris Hohenwald.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: