Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Pears
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pear preserve lover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Louisiana and Florida Pears Reply with quote

Rachel1919,

After much research I have decided that my grandfather's pear tree probably was a Kieffer Pear tree. I emailed some pear growers from Louisiana and also found an article from LSU about pears that grow in Louisiana. From that I narrowed it down to three possibilities - Kieffer, Pineapple, or Orient. One of the growers I wrote told me that the Kieffer was the most common pear tree planted in the south. My husband remembers his grandfather having a pear tree in southern Georgia that sounds exactly the same. So my best guess is Kieffer. Maybe that is what yours are too. I am in SC now, but I am planning on ordering a Kieffer for my yard. Thanks for responding,

Shannon
Hawaii girl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Harry and David's pears Reply with quote

The Harry and David's pears are, I agree, the most delicious and so juicy that they're best eaten over the kitchen sink so all the juice can just drip off your chin, like eating tree ripened mangoes in peak season. They're marketed under a different name, I think Royal Riviera or something like that, but are actually just superb Comice pears. I usually get some for the Holidays and go wild Big smile

Hawaii girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: answer to rachel1919 Reply with quote

Looks to me like "korian Giant" also known as Olympic
I grow these. very good taste
darly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: small brown pears Reply with quote

I have a large tree with what looks and tastes like pears. The pears are extremely small ( about an inch in diameter), sweet and resemble Bosc in color. I do not see any pictures that resemble them in size but they are the color of the Bosc pear and same shape. I used the "shaking" method to harvest and they taste so sweet. Have you heard of this variety and can you make preserves with them. I took one to the local co-op but they were no help so any information would help Smile
TriciaOK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Small sweet pears Reply with quote

The small sweet pears are probably Seckle pears (also called "sugar pears" because of their sweetness). If you prune the tree the pears might grow a bit bigger, but they are typically pretty small.
Jasminen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I just ate a Chinese pear for the first time and immediately there was a familiar taste...I was trying to figure out what it was and finally I realized it tastes like egg-nog! Is there something used in egg-nog that comes from this pear? I'm really curious to know.
TJCal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Pear Identity Reply with quote Delete this post

In regards to Rachel 1919 photos they look like one of my varieties which are called the Cajun Pineapple Pear but bears a striking resemblance to Orient Pear. I have their pictures on my pear bulletin Board. Scroll all the way down to the end of the page to see the Cajun Pineapple.
T. J. Cal

http://www.tandeecal.com/page10.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: