Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a good substitute for marsala wine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: What is a good substitute for marsala wine? Reply with quote

Hi there - I am cooking chicken marsala and ran out of marsala wine. Anyone have a good substitute? If I use a dry white wine, is there something else I should add?

Thanks in advance for the help.
ConfidentCook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Marsala Substitute Reply with quote

Sure, you could use dry white wine for the marsala, but it won't have the rich, slight sweetness of marsala since they are two entirely different wines. What you could do, however, is add a bit of bouillon paste to the wine before you add it to the pan. There's a jarred product called "Better Than Bouillon" which is much more complex than the typical dried cube; it comes in chicken, beef and vegetable and has sugar and yeast extract among the ingredients. They offer a great deal of flavor and color enhancement when you're winging it.
bozzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madeira wine is sometimes used as a substitute for marsala wine.
The Yakima Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Apple juice Reply with quote

Apple juice can work, too. My religion prohibits the consumption of alcohol, so I use a variety of fruit juices to replace wines and liquers.
pbone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: substitute for marsala Reply with quote

Use cream sherry. It's sweet and has a lot of residual flavor, like marsala.
There's dry marsala, too, and you can use a shooting sherry or amontillado (sp?) as a substitute for that.
jgsouthard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a good substitute for marsala wine? Reply with quote

Jill wrote:
Hi there - I am cooking chicken marsala and ran out of marsala wine. Anyone have a good substitute? If I use a dry white wine, is there something else I should add?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I know this is a stale thread, but I was poking around for an answer to the same question. I'm tired of buying bottles of marsala, using 1/2 cup for a recipe, and then having it go bad before the next time I need some. And the cheap bottles of marsala I use for cooking are not particularly drinkable on their on.

I've been experimenting with using a wine+brandy substitute for sherry (about 2/3 white wine to 1/3 brandy), since I don't normally keep sherry around either. It seems to work fine, since sherry is a fortified wine and the woody/nutty flavor of the brandy seems to match pretty closely to the sherry.

I'm thinking the same thing might work for marsala, since the style and flavor are similar to sherry.

So if you want to experiment and have some brandy around, trying using about 2/3 white wine and 1/3 brandy.
watson.shane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking butane would deliver the biggest btu's, but i am open for suggestions.

i want the heat source to heat the entire bottom of the wok, like a traditional cooker wherein the wok sits in a recessed hole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum