Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non stick pans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mumu33

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: non stick pans Reply with quote

for non stick pans would keeping the baking temp. the same as if using a metal pan be ok? And just reduce my baking time? Is this the way you are suppose to do non stick pans? Looking at the web site here on choc. cake and see that the pans used for this cake was non stick and nothing said about temp. change so was wandering if this is right?

Thanks,
Newbie in baking
Mumu
SirShazar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pan being nonstick will not change the cooking time.
mumu33

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: non stick pans Reply with quote

I think it does change ,from what i been reading???? Any other comments appr..Thanks

Mumu
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mumu, what should it change? What are you baking? A nonstick cake pan will take the same amount of time to bake the cake as a conventional pan. The color of the pan will alter the amount of browning, but the interior of the cake will take the same amount of time to be done.
mumu33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: non stick pans Reply with quote

Just baking a cake and on the recipe says,metal pans use 350 and for nonstik pans decrease baking time . What I been reading is also if use non stick pans instead of metal pans you should drop the temp. by 25 degrees and or decrease baking time. And notice your choc. cake recipe and you used non stick from the pictures and you didnt mention anything about this. What i been reading is dark non stick pans brown faster than reg. metal pans (conventional pan). Any thoughts on this?

Mumu
mumu33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: non stick pans Reply with quote

Just baking a cake and on the recipe says,metal pans use 350 and for nonstik pans decrease baking time . What I been reading is also if use non stick pans instead of metal pans you should drop the temp. by 25 degrees and or decrease baking time. And notice your choc. cake recipe and you used non stick from the pictures and you didnt mention anything about this. What i been reading is dark non stick pans brown faster than reg. metal pans (conventional pan), being in a non stick pan gets done faster. Bec. it holds the heat more than a reg. pan. Any thoughts on this? Also for glass you are suppose drop temp. and or baking time. If something isnt right here ,could you please explain. Thanks.

Mumu
SirShazar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, a nonstick coating will NOT change the cooking time. There are factors which will change cooking times:

-size of pan: the larger and more rectangular a pan is the more surface area it creates and the shorter the cooking time will be.

-material: the material can DEFINITELY change the cooking time. A drastic comparison would be a copper pan (great conductor) and a pyrex dish (great insulator).

-thickness: this can be tricky, because to some degree it increases conductivity, but if it's too thick it will act as an insulator.

-color of the outside of the pan: darker pans will absorb more radiant heat.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem with all of this is that thye make pans ina variety of colors. Non-stick that's almost black through ashy gray and conventional pans that are shiny silver to dark charcoal... the color will affect browning, but if you cook it less - you might end up with an underdone inside with a overcooked outside. That's one of the reasons why my round cake pans are a different color than my cookie sheets which is a different color than my bundt pans.
mumu33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: nonstick Reply with quote

So, what they say about nonstick decrease baking time by 3-5 min. I shouldnt do? And one place read and here is what they said :"We tested these rec. in a dull metal pan,If you use dark metal,nonstick, or glass pan decrease baking time by 5 to 10 min.") So this isnt right? DOESNT NON STICK CONDUCT MORE HEAT? Only glass pans reduce heat or no here to??

Mumu
SirShazar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonstick coating is a VERY thin layer of a smooth material and a binder. This includes teflon, anondized surfaces, and seasoned surfaces. There are also various types of nonstick silicon mats, but those do in fact change cooking time to some degree. The most drastic difference a nonstick coating will have on food will be on the exterior.

I think their reasoning is that most nonstick pans have a black exterior.
What confounds me is decreasing baking time for a glass pan. If anything, it should increase cooking time.

Don't put so much focus on the cooking time, there are other factors to consider that are out of your control (elevation, humidity, oven's thermostat). The most reliable way to check if something is done is by taking it's internal temperature.
mumu33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: nonstick Reply with quote

When they are talking about nonstick color they are refer. to the outside of the pan or the iinside? Getting from you two they are talking about the outside,right. I was thinking its the inside or am i wrong again. Reason thought inside is bec. have a bundt pan and its gold outside with white inside,this i wouldnt drop temp. right? I have never seen a black nonstick pan,if we are talkimg about the outside and not the inside. or even a black a pan all i seen and have is a the bullet gray nonstick by bakers secr..

Mumu
mumu33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: nonstick Reply with quote

Just called Betty crocker and asked them what they meant on the directions...if using a dark or nonstick pan shorten baking time. Thay said any dark pan and all nonstick pans you do this to. I asked even the bullet gray color thats fro m bakers secr. and they said yes thats nonstick. I said dont you mean dark nonstick only he said no any nonstick. Whats your thoughts on this?

Mumu
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[[Whats your thoughts on this?

I think you should stick a toothpick in the cake and see if it's done.

blindly following time directions - with or without adjustment for pan type and color - when baking in a home oven is an invitation to having things just not go right. there are too many variables.

those kind of "factors" should alert you to check sooner or later from the "standard" baking time. they neither imply or guarantee you cake will be done in 25.63457801234 minutes.
mumu33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: nonstick Reply with quote

Still would like to know if you are talking about inside of the pan or outside for the color. Also called bakers secret and they say all their nonstick pans bakeware should be reduced to 25. There are no light nonstick on the market right non all consider to be reduced to 25 degrees. He said all the nonstick he knows of are considered to be reduced even if it the bullet gray color. Any suggestion or help on this and what i been told here on the forum. Seems confusing to me.

Thanks
Mumu
mumu33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: nonstick Reply with quote

Thanks every one for your help here. I decided that they want you to reduce your oven temp. by 25 degrees is bec. they are talking about the dark nonstick pans not the light color nonstick,and the reason for this i have been told from manufactures and help centers is because nonstick dark pans conduct more heat than the light color ones. People even on web say they bought the dark nonstick and found they had to reduce the oven temp. by 25 degrees, because the cake got done to fast at the reg. oven temp.. or decrease baking time by 5min. This from Calpalon nonstick bakeware and Kitchen aid 2 nonstick 5 piece. But i will also try the remedy you offered dilbert by sticking a toothpick in the cake too, a great old remedy!

Mumu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum