Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

knives for small hands?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csrullan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: knives for small hands? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a small woman (under 5 feet tall) and my hands are proportionately tiny. Does anyone know of knives designed for small hands? Also, I've heard that ceramic knives are lighter. Can anyone share their experience with ceramic knives? Ladies, I would especially love to hear from you. But I would be grateful to anyone who can speak to these issues.

Thanks,
Cynthia
Graywolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Knives for small hands Reply with quote

I can't help too much with the handle size, but I can tell you that when the ceramic blade dulls, YOU will not be able to sharpen it. It must be sent back to the manufactuer for sharpening. Time lost and costly. They also "chip or nick" very easily. Shock

My wife loves her Globals. She is 5' 2" and weighs 105# with very small hands. Never buy a high quality, expensive knife with out holding it in your hands first. It is going to be in your hands many hours in the years to come. Smile Kershaw Shun and Global are two that our family use. Shun has the "edge" for long term sharpness but also more difficult to sharpen with the "harder" steel. Please NEVER use an electric sharpener on high quality knives. Anger
Amadio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have small hands and the globals are still too small of a handle for me.

I was in a store talking about having small hands with the sales person who had hands about half my size and swears by his Shun Classics for comfort.
Cucina Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceramic knives are definitely lighter and are extremely sharp. They will cut a tomato so thin you can read through it.

Go to a store that has several brands so you can actually try them in your hands. Shun has different types (Ken Onion, Alton's Angles and standard handles) so if you can find one you like you will have the benefit of the best knives made!
skramy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite knife in my kitchen is from the fishing department at the marts. Actually, I own three. I rarely ever use my high end Henkels anymore because I like the ease of use of my Rapala 4 inch fillet knife. It is easy to sharpen, light weight, gives me better control, cuts paper thin, comes with a leather storage sheath, and cost less than twenty dollars.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: knives for small hands? Reply with quote

csrullan wrote:
Hello,

I'm a small woman (under 5 feet tall) and my hands are proportionately tiny. Does anyone know of knives designed for small hands? Also, I've heard that ceramic knives are lighter. Can anyone share their experience with ceramic knives? Ladies, I would especially love to hear from you. But I would be grateful to anyone who can speak to these issues.

Thanks,
Cynthia

First of all, Cynthia, don't even think about ceramic blades. Consider them a fad, and a bad one at that for home cooks.

Try something different. Go to www.moritakahamono.com and look around. Moritaka is a Japanese custom house dating back to 1293. A good starter would be a Nakiribocho. See it here: http://park12.wakwak.com/~moritaka/list/nakiri_en.html

Get the standard model with the cherry wood handle and ask for a price on a 180mm (7.1") length. Write Akiko at either info@moritakahamono.com or moritaka@bg.wakwak.com. Akiko is the only English speaker there and it may take a few days to get an answer as she may be experiencing a premature baby delivery today.

Anyway, tell Akiko what diamenter handle you would like. If they can't do it you can always sand it down if required.

Buzz
SirShazar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure she would appreciate it, but if you look at her post its from two years ago.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post may have been from two years ago, but new people continually read the threads, so new information or insights can help new readers.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: knives for small hands? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
First of all, Cynthia, don't even think about ceramic blades. Consider them a fad, and a bad one at that for home cooks.

I agree. A few weeks ago, Williams-Sonoma had a set of Ceramic knives (I don't recall the brand) on display in NYC. The blades were all chipped. When I was there the day after Thanksgiving, they were gone from the display. They probably still sell them, but seeing a chipped set of blades on knives that never cut a piece of food or saw regular use in a kitchen makes me think twice about ever buying them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum