Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Waterless cookware" vs. the other multi-ply stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: "Waterless cookware" vs. the other multi-ply stuff Reply with quote

My Fiancée and I are going to be married soon and we are considering what type of cookware we should put on our registry. I have been looking into “waterless cookware” and I was hoping someone here could tell me the advantages (IF ANY) of such cookware over standard tri-ply stainless steel cookware such as “all-clad.”

The waterless cookware we have been looking at is anywhere from $200 to $600 and 15-21 pieces. Here is a link to a site that retails some of the waterless cookware. http://www.waterlesscookware.com/store/default.asp

I want a good quality, diverse set of cookware that will last me a long time and that I can cook with both on a stovetop and in the oven. Any information anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Howard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, "waterless" conjures up an image of an end product looking like a pile of powder.
orkiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not exactly sure what you mean, I have experienced waterless cookware cooked food and they have all been great; I simply want to know if such cookware is a more worthwhile investment over other high quality cookware such as All-Clad.

Thanks for your responses!
SirSpice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The construction looks a little more typical of low-end cookware. For that kind of price I would look for something that didn't have plastic handles.
Howard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this but I think waterless/oil-less-marketed cookware is BS.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I debated a while about responding to this post, but in the end - he's my take.

I've watched demonstrations of waterless cookware and tasted the food. The vegetables are basically steamed and the dry cooked foods were, well, dry cooked. There's nothing special about the pots (except they have lids that secure air tight and are able to stack once all the pots have been brought to temperature). I think a lot has to do with technique - the demos always compare their pots against substandard cookware (cheap Revere stainless steel or a borosilicate glass pot) and compare their cooking against boiling. The technique is easy to fix - if you're boiling your food and everything tastes bland and mushy - stop doing that. Saute, stir-fry, pan fry, steam, grill, broil... you can even use waterless techniques in a high quality pan - the lid might not be air tight, but it will be good enough if you just seed it with a few tablespoons of water.

So, is waterless cookware superior? Compared to most of the cookware found in American homes - yes. Compared to well crafted stainless steel clad aluminum like Calphalon Tri-Ply and All-Clad - they seem to be able to do the same things. They have a core thick enough to spread heat so you can cook on low to med-low heat and not burn your food if you are cooking "dry". If you had to choose, I don't really see a reason to buy waterless cookware unless you buy into the whole waterless cooking theory and that lifestyle.

Oh, and on the recommendation note - I have to say that having owned many tri-ply pots from a variety of brands (including some that I had to dig around for because they were discontinued product lines), All-Clad is my favorite. I swear I can brown and release foods faster and cleaner than with the other brands. They seem to clean up easier too. Maybe the finsih on the steel is a little different... I don't know. I started off thinking they charged more because they could and nothing could justify their outrageous cost. I only bought their 1 qt. saucepan because it was on sale (picked it up for $10!). Then I collected the "kickers" from all the other brands that offer stainless steel clad products, a 3 qt. from Calphalon, 4 qt. from Analon, saute from Tramontina, the mythical Farberware Multi-Clad Saucier (which they only sold just long enough to win the Cook's Illustrated saucier comparison and then proptly discontinued), and a couple others. They all did a fine job at cooking, but the tiny All-Clad was inexplicably awesome. Finally, after a couple years of this, (and realizing the need for more pots - even witht he number of pots that I have, when I'm working on an article, I run out of clean pots) I augmented my collection with a full set of All-Clad Stainless. They are the first pots and pans that I reach for now and I have to say I have no complaints (and, although I'm stingy, I have to say they are worth the money) if you're serious about taking pleasure in the process of cooking.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: All-Clad is low low-moisture, right? Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain that All-clad pots are in fact low-moisture (waterless) though I'm not 100%. Also Westbend, SaladMates, Lustercraft and Cutco's
cookware are low-moisture as well as multiple-ply for fast even cooking. I have Cutco and I think that low-moisture really does make a huge difference in taste(retains more minerals as well). All these brands are expensive but they are all really good qualiy( I beleive almost all of them are made by the same company) Cutco takes part of the price out of the represenatives commision so they are cheaper but All-Clad does preform a little better. Also most of the companies have a very substantial guarantee so you should only have to buy any of these sets once in your life-time. I totally think it's worth it to get one of these brands.

P.S.
The web-site you had looks like cheap quality but I'm also not 100% on that.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Sorry forgot Reply with quote

I don't think you can put any of those clad ones in the over for very long.
SirShazar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry forgot Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
I don't think you can put any of those clad ones in the over for very long.

Makes no sense at all.

The clad cookware will perform just as well if not better than regular pans when put in the oven. Thats why most clad lines also have a roasting pan.
Cucina Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookware choices are very subjective. Is the waterless cookware 18/10 stainless? Have you seen it in person, handled it, compared it to other cookware? Cook's Illustrated magazine consistently rates All Clad tops in their consumer tests of cookware, and for many good reasons. You might go to their website and read the reviews. CIA is also very good cookware and it has a copper layer.

There are so many choices now that if you are registering for gifts I would recommend the very best you can afford (since they will be free, after all!) and a line that you can add to as your needs arise. I would not register for a set at all, but individual pieces. You are more likely to get these rather than a whole set as a gift. Any good quality cookware will last you a lifetime and be a true pleasure to use.

Don't forget an enamelled cast iron Dutch Oven (Le Crueset or Staub) and a 8 or 10 inch nonstick pan for eggs and fish (Swiss Diamond.)

Happy shopping!
vinnie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Waterless cookware" vs. the other multi-ply s Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
My Fiancée and I are going to be married soon and we are considering what type of cookware we should put on our registry. I have been looking into “waterless cookware” and I was hoping someone here could tell me the advantages (IF ANY) of such cookware over standard tri-ply stainless steel cookware such as all-clad. ..... Any information anyone can provide is greatly appreciated."

Hello.
It's very smart to research any type of "expensive" cookware before you buy it, especially online. Advice: Look for a company that has a customer service department and one that's been online longer than last week. You can look at the copyright date at the bottom of the website for this.

Personally, I've been using waterless cookware for over six years now. Like so many others I bought my set online. At that time I think my set cost around $300, and there were only a few different types of sets online to choose from so I ended up with a set that can be used on an induction top stove, although I'm sure I'll never own one of those. Anyway the cookware cooks perfect on my ceramic-top electric stove.
The advantages, as I understand them, is better tasting food first of all. Plus you will save time cooking because you cook your meals quicker with this kind of cookware. The other fact that all the companies push about waterless cookware is that it keeps the vitamins and minerals from cooking out of your food and I guess this is just healthier.
My grandmother has arthritis really bad in her hands and shoulders. Believe it or not her doctor told her to go buy a good set of surgical stainless steel cookware to cook her food in. Since I found mine online cheaper than at the parties (and she knows nothing about the Internet) I bought her a set about six weeks ago from the same store I bought mine from. Only this time there were a lot more sets to choose from. Now some of the sets have a thermostat right in the knobs so grandmother said she would rather have a thermostat knob than the one like mine with a steam valve. I couldn't believe her set cost less than mine, but it was on sale and they said that my set would always cost more because it was made for induction stoves.
Anyway I'm sure mine and my grandmother's set will last rest of our life
and my two daughters will probably get them in the end.
My opinion is, with the prices online, you can't go wrong buying a set of waterless cookware.
Thanks, Vinnie
OH yeah, I bought our sets at realcook. You can call them or order online. Real easy.
steve ripley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: waterless cookware Reply with quote

not sure how i got on this page... and i realize your post is from years ago.

just curious how you made out with the pots and pans choice.

my dad was a pioneer in the waterless cookware business - starting about the year i was born - 1950.

we lived waterless cooking with passion my whole life. if you have questions, about the idea of it, and the different construction methods of different companies, i might be able to help.

what a little side trip for me...

cheers,

steve ripley (oklahoma)
cosmopooh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: waterless cookware Reply with quote

Hi , I too am getting married and I have been looking at Waterless cookware . I would love to get any info I can on the matter so that I can register for my bridal shower. I was very interested in your quote Steve. If you could give me more info I would appreciate it. I went to the fair last year and a company from P.A. was there and it is all American made cookwear. Do you know anything about this brand? thank you and have a nice day.
steve ripley wrote:
not sure how i got on this page... and i realize your post is from years ago.

just curious how you made out with the pots and pans choice.

my dad was a pioneer in the waterless cookware business - starting about the year i was born - 1950.

we lived waterless cooking with passion my whole life. if you have questions, about the idea of it, and the different construction methods of different companies, i might be able to help.

what a little side trip for me...

cheers,

steve ripley (oklahoma)
JFDavid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this site: http://www.angelfire.com/az2/waterless/cookware.html
I bought some cookware from this site and I am very pleased with it
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you are happy with your pans, but . . .

I've spent a bit of time trying to 'understand' what the heck "waterless cooking" is about.

my conclusion: it's 200% hype and bunko nonsense.

for example the anglefire site - 7 or 9 or 12 layers.
layers of what? all that is mentioned is aluminum and copper covered up by stainless. so, stainless on the outside, stainless on the inside, a layer of aluminum, a layer of copper - that's four layers - what comprises the other 3/5/8 layers?
(well, other than MLM profit layers . . .)

for example the anglefire site - "lets you cook at a lower temperature" - ahhhh, that's what they make them knobs for - twist it counter-clock-wise and save a few billion. where is it written that el-cheepo $4 stainless pans may only be used on HI heat?

"stainless / aluminum holds heat better" - okay - true on a pound for pound basis.
if you have every held a cast iron pan in your hand vs. an aluminum or stainless pan in your hand, you might have noticed a difference in mass.
aluminum might hold heat better on a pound for pound basis, but there ain't enough pounds of aluminum there to equal on an 'absolute' ie practical / performance basis - the heat retention of other materials / construction.

for all those inclined to insist that Teflon/PTFE is bad for your health - flakes off and you eat/ingest it - it's been in widespread use for 50+ years and there is a severe dearth of: "death due to PFTE toxicity" reports from any actual real medical officials. one doesn't find too many real doctors demonstrating waterless cooking at the county fair.

and as for aluminum causes Alzheimer disease, all subsequent research into the 1950's "findings" of such have only shown "not really" - you'll likely absorb more aluminum from your antiperspirant than cooking in an aluminum pan.

for the $200-$300 these folks sell a waterless pan, if you're concerned with even heating, get a solid 2.5 - 3.0 mm thick copper fry pan lined with stainless. there is only one metal that conducts heat better than copper, that's silver. doable, tad pricey, but heh . . . you will get "even heat"

and exactly what is the deal with no water? no fats/oils I can understand - that's the realm of non-stick cookware.

waterless cookware is just a marketing ploy to get people to pay a lot of money for a product quality readily available at Walmart that has a one-tenth price tag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum