Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dining Out: Michelin Rated Restaurants (San Francisco 2008)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Dining Out: Michelin Rated Restaurants (San Francisco 2008) Reply with quote

Now that the 2008 Michelin Guide is out for San Francisco, I thought it would be a good idea to update the map tool and listing that I put together for this website. This year, more total stars were given out than last year (42 total stars this year vs. 34 stars last year). The French Laundry remains as the only Bay Area restaurant to achieve the coveted three-star rating, but Chez TJ (earning an additional star) and Meadowood (new to this year's list) join last year's four two-star restaurants.

Joining the list of Michelin rated restaurants are Ame, Coi, Cortez, Madrona Manor, Martini House, One Market, and Redd. Unfortunately, Bushi-Tei and Dry Creek Kitchen lost their stars and dropped off the list this year.

Just like the post I made for the 2007 SF Michelin Guide, click on the name of the restaurant to have the map zoom in and show details (above the map).
[michelin_map 2008]

snowlady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: overrated restaurants! Reply with quote

My husband and I are big foodies and often spend several $100's on a fantastic meal for 2. HOWEVER, Buchon, with it's great rave reviews and little sibling to French Laundry, provided us with our worst "big name" dining experience in the past 10 years.

1. The time between salad and main course took over an hour.
2. We were crammed into a small corner, next to the servers computer, which meant we had several servers/bussers hovering. All of whom completely ignored us.
3. Once the food actually arrived, it was as to be expected, a minuscule portion for the price. But the kicker was it just didn't taste good.

We left, vowing never to return. There are better, albeit, lesser known places we'd prefer to patronize.
rich.bronson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Buchon one time a few months ago and I had a similar experience. I will never go back there either. The food was ok, but for the price and the small portion size, it just isn't worth it. And you are right about the service too.
just another engineer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Cyrus Reply with quote Delete this post

We ate at Cyrus last year in oktober, more or less by accident. It was a great experience and I can recommend their 10 course tasting menu, which was in my european eye quite reasonably priced (the dollar is at an all time low).
I thought their wine list was pricey, so be carefull, but their sommelier was very helpful picking some californian wines from their cellar. I can get french wines quite easily, living in the netherlands, and was more interested in trying some wines that I can't get my hands on back home. Still set us back $600, including tip, but it was worth it.

Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: