Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Scoville Units
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Scoville-Units Reply with quote

I just returned from a mexican restaurant called Juan's MexiCali....If any of you "Big Men" that love "Hot Stuff" think they can handle this...BE MY GUEST, and BE FOREWARNED !....They sell to the public a hot sauce deemed "The Bomb" ... Remember those little white plastic serving cups you normally get a serving of ketchup or other condiments in ? .... I downed as a shot 1/2 of one of these of The Bomb - even before the server could warn me, or even speak....His reaction was Oh My GOD !
Little did I understand why, until about 5 minutes later, ... Yes I'll admit, it was Hot on the lips as an after-taste , spicy on the tongue, But little did i know what would happen when it finally hit my stomach ! ... I wont tell you the result of downing this 1/2 shot of The Bomb ( too graphic - and I
would rather you find out yourselves ) ...but I will tell you this.... It's Scoville Unit measurement was exactly 855,000 scoville units ... yes, you heard me...not a typo....855,000 scoville units ... now having just read this...I'll also tell you that it's NOT the hottest sauce they sell.... I don't know the name of this one, and you have to sign a waiver before purchasing it...but I'll warn you...the deem it "The HOTTEST sauce on earth" ...with a Scoville Unit measurment of an unbelievable 7,000,000 !!
Or...7 million scoville units for those who cant add zeroes....anyone "man" enough to try it ? ....I doubt it !!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Scoville-Units Reply with quote

tinman wrote:
I just returned from a mexican restaurant called Juan's MexiCali....If any of you "Big Men" that love "Hot Stuff" think they can handle this...BE MY GUEST, and BE FOREWARNED !....They sell to the public a hot sauce deemed "The Bomb" ... Remember those little white plastic serving cups you normally get a serving of ketchup or other condiments in ? .... I downed as a shot 1/2 of one of these of The Bomb - even before the server could warn me, or even speak....His reaction was Oh My GOD !
Little did I understand why, until about 5 minutes later, ... Yes I'll admit, it was Hot on the lips as an after-taste , spicy on the tongue, But little did i know what would happen when it finally hit my stomach ! ... I wont tell you the result of downing this 1/2 shot of The Bomb ( too graphic - and I
would rather you find out yourselves ) ...but I will tell you this.... It's Scoville Unit measurement was exactly 855,000 scoville units ... yes, you heard me...not a typo....855,000 scoville units ... now having just read this...I'll also tell you that it's NOT the hottest sauce they sell.... I don't know the name of this one, and you have to sign a waiver before purchasing it...but I'll warn you...the deem it "The HOTTEST sauce on earth" ...with a Scoville Unit measurment of an unbelievable 7,000,000 !!
Or...7 million scoville units for those who cant add zeroes....anyone "man" enough to try it ? ....I doubt it !!

Check this out:

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/bl6amrepeexe.html

This is up to 16 Million scoville units.

I remember being at a bar about ten years ago where they were featuring various brands of Tequila shots and serving gratis Buffalo wings. One of the patrons was being a loud pain in the butt, repeatedly saying the wings weren't hot enough in a really annoying manner. He said there wasn't a hot sauce that he couldn't eat. The bartender, having had enough of the guy, gave him a spoon and a bottle of Dave's Ultimate Insanity, and then walked away. The annoying patron apparently never heard of it because he poured a spoonful and downed it like it was cough medicine. He had a reaction just like you described. He had too big an ego to admit he was dying. He excused himself to the men's room, and didn't return.

I'm surprised that the restaurant you went to served the Da Bomb as a condiment, instead of using it as a "food additive" that it is really meant to be. The ultra high octane hot sauces can be dangerous to a person's health.
timeslide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone heard of Mad Dog hot sauce?? it has a scoville rating of 600,00. the beauty of it i s that it is hot without being harsh. a smooth hotness if you can believe that. i enjoy eating spicy foods and can handle a fair amount of heat., but this stuff is not something i play around with. i've had it a few years and there still lots in the bottle.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^Hot without being harsh, . . . . at 600,000???? Your mouth must have an asbestos lining. 600,000 is very hot any way you look at it. There's no way anything can camouflage a 600,000 sauce.
timeslide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hot without being harsh yes. it doesnt taste like industrial paint strippers are at work in my mouth when i consume it. it still has a tremendous heat. the bottle comes with its own serving spoon. a very tiny serving spoon. its produced by ashley food co. of Sudbury Ma. their site is www.ashleyfood.com
when purchasing this hot sauce at a local vendor i had to sign a waiver to not use the sauce in practical jokes. it wasnt cheap but its been worth every penny. they do have other sauces in the million ratings of which i am looking forward to tasting, after some serious training. a little bit of Ye Olde Colon Cleanser. yee haa!! seriously, i love their sauces as they are not loaded with sodium. and i guess that some people just can handle heat. years ago i went on a trip to Cancun Mexico for Christmas with a couple friends. we ended up taking a snorkeling tour around the islands. part of the tour involved having a meal prepared on a small private island. i asked our waiter if they could make a Habanero sauce for me to go along with the copius amount of grilled meat. they brought out a nice zesty sauce for me. it was a perfect match for the meal. my friends saw me eating with such gusto that they decided to try the sauce. just a dip of the fork into the sauce to check for heat. they didn't think it was that hot as they saw me pouring it over my food. needles to say the sauce proved more than a match for them. it ruined the rest of their meal. and i had a good laugh at their expense. some people just cant handle any heat i guess.
cheffysteffy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: HOT HOT HEAT Reply with quote

If you guys really wantto try a pepper that will light you up. You all need to try the Ghost Chilie. It is from India and has been used as a weapon. I work at a produce company and I got a sample of this instrument of SATAN. One of my co-worker took it in his mouth, he could not even finish the bite before he spit it out and ran out of the room. They have clocked over 1 million scoville units.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the ghost pepper. Here is more info. You can even buy the seeds. It entered the Guinness Book of Records in 2006 as the hottest pepper in the world.

http://www.nmsu.edu/~ucomm/Releases/2007/february/hottest_chile.htm
Bjoern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: quick screen. Reply with quote

Having bought and tested many sauces, I found an easy way of pre-selection. Of course they all promise the best burn-out, yet few really keep that promise and even fewer state the hotness on the label.
If your sauce has any preservatives in the ingredients list, you can forget about it. A good hot sauce does not need them, as they are anti-fungal, anti-bacterial. In fact the compounds in there are made by nature to prevent you from eating them. Oh, well so much for the evolutionary reasoning.

And on the side -- having Blairs Megadeath around for a while (actually much longer than any of the others) I noticed that the heat is painful, but shallow. I prefer to add more of a rich, flavourful sauce as my long term favourite, called Alberta Crude. By far not as hot (would guess in the 5-15% range of megadeath) but, hey, add more AND you get the depth with the heat.
Cheers!
JeffM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Don't mess around with the hot stuff Reply with quote

The retailers that make you sign a waiver don't do it for no reason. This stuff really is hot and people don't know it. It's like holding an atomic bomb in your hand and thinking its those little poppers you throw down on the ground at Halloween to startle people. Put a little drop on someone's food is a funny prank right? Well think again. My brother thought is was a good idea to put some pepper extract rated at a million scoville units into my friend's bottle of unsuspecting Heinz hot and spicy ketchup. I thought we were going to have to take the dude to the hospital. It's like he couldn't breath. And it's not like he put it directly on his food. He mixed it only a couple of drops into the bottle and we had to throw it away! Just be careful folks. It might sound like a cool idea to go buy really hot crap online, but beware.
ricky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: hot is good, don't forget flavor Reply with quote

It's funny that the topic of discussion always revolves around "which is the hottest chile?" or "which is the hottest hot sauce?"

Ricante Hot Sauce & Cevicheria has a line of hot sauces that aim not only to provide an enjoyable burning sensation but also to add flavor and spice to your meals. Our hot sauces bring the tropical flavors of Costa Rica (well, CR's food is not really flavorful but the country is) combined with the spiciness of Mexican food.

You can buy Ricante hot sauce online, or come enjoy a refreshing bowl of ceviche if you are in the Tamarindo area. We can also do custom labels which makes for a great gift, what better than to hot sauce as a gift[/url]!

Pura vida![/url]
mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: hot pepper Reply with quote Delete this post

Totally false:

hot peppers, hot sauce, or even extract , or capsaicin will NOT kill taste buds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: