Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

parchment paper
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: parchment paper Reply with quote

mumu33 wrote:
Gary Protein,

When you use your double layer air sheets ,how does your cookie turn out? Brown, less brown, or what ? Do you use parchment paper with it? Been reading if you use parchment paper with these types of pan will have a browner bottom on bottom, but what you said this is not true, Right?

Thanks,

Mumu

Sorry about not responding sooner to this. But I said "Parchment may help in making the bottom brown slightly less and be less crisp because it can act as a slight insulator from the direct heat of the oven." I never actually used parchment paper when making cookies. I just used the double layer air sheets. What I said was my supposition, which if you have an authoritative word on, or experience with, I may be wrong about this.
mumu33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: parchment paper Reply with quote

thanks SirShazar, I realize the purpose of greasing the pan is to help adhere the parchment paper to the pan. But which of these two ways would you say to do or go by if recipe just says line cake pan with parchment paper?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're really not into experimenting are you?

So, I would say, first cut the parchment paper to the size and shape of the bottom of your pan. Put the parchment paper into the pan to test to see if it fits. If it's too big trim it back a little and repeat until it fits.

Rub butter on the sides of the pan with your fingers. Put a little flour (teaspoon or so) into the pan, and tilt the pan so the flour covers the buttered area. Rotate and tap the pan until the flour moves and flows onto another part of the buttered pan. A thin layer of butter will have stuck to the pan where you previously covered it. Rotate and tap until all the buttered areas are covered with flour. If you run out of flour, add a little more and proceed.

Rub some flour on the bottom of the pan so there is some stickiness to the bottom of the pan. Put the parchment paper into the pan using the butter as a mild adhesive. This won't help with the baking, but it will help the parchment paper from moving while you pour the batter which is a nice bonus.

Throughout life you're going to be getting a lot of instructions, many of which conflict. Some will work better than others in specific circumstances while others simply won't work well for you. You really have to be open to experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. I understand (from your extreme focus on "medium or medium-low mixer speed?" and "which parchment paper instructions do I follow?") you like to fully understand a problem and solution before tackling it, but often trying something hands-on is the best teacher.
mumu33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: parchment paper Reply with quote

Thanks every one for your advice. And yes Mr. Chu, I have been exprerimenting. and my cake didnt come out thats why i am asking my questions. Usually ask before because i would like to prevent any problems when I bake.

Mumu
SirShazar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a specific recipe, or part of a recipe, that you're having trouble with I can try and help you with it. I'm not much of a baker, but I do have a lot of technical cooking knowledge.

If you're using a round pan you shouldn't bother greasing the pan because if the parchment is the right size it will hold itself in the pan. It's hard to describe in words so I made an illustration, you fold at the grey lines and cut at the red:

mumu33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: parchment paper Reply with quote

THANK YOU SirShazar!! Very helpful.

Mumu
mumu33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: parchment paper Reply with quote

SirShazar,

The biggest problem I was having was when a recipe said grease and flour cake pan or line with parchment paper,i couldnt figure out how to get the parchment paper on the sides of pan . I thought lining pan with parchment paper was doing the whole pan. You know, kind of lining with foil. I realized this now is to diffcult. so just decided to do like every one else says cut circle and then grease sides or grease first and lay parchment paper down and sides already greased. I couldnt figure out why you wold need to grease pan ,because thought whole idea of using parchment paper was to elimate the greasing process threw me off track. Being new to baking I didnt know.

Just thought I would share this.

Thank You Again!
Mumu
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can line the sides of the pan with parchment by cutting a long rectangular strip of parchment paper. If the sides of the pan are 2-in. and the diameter is 10-in. Then cut a strip 2-in. by 33-in. (the extra 1.5 inches are for overlap). Once you've stuck the bottom on, dab a little butter onto three or four points on the side and use the rectangular strip to line the side.
mumu33

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: parchment paper Reply with quote

quick question does line your pan with parchment paper mean the bottom and sides of pan or does this just mean bottom. It seems kind of weird to me to line the sides for a cake, the sides pull away any ways,any reason for this?

Mumu
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mumu, as you said, the sides of the cake pull away from the sides of the pan. It is not necessary to line the sides for the cake to easily come out of the pan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum