Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Lemon Bars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beverly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: lemon bars Reply with quote

cute website...I have always made lemon bars, but was in a hurry for a recipe and came across yours....followed your directions, except I did have to substitute 2 % milk ( and I don't recall having milk in my recipe)....but...my bars came out upside down....no crust on the bottom...hummmm.. Huh? .....but.....I love em anyway....made them for a happy hour get together and i'm sure everyone will too....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Looks Yummy! Reply with quote

I was cooking another lemon bar recipe from recipezaar.com, and came across your site. How great that you've posted the pictures of the different steps. That is incredibly helpful!
Anonymous Reader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Typo Reply with quote

"shorbread base"
If I am not mistaken, it should be shortbread not shorbread.

Love the site. Thanks ^_^.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Typo Reply with quote

Anonymous Reader wrote:
"shorbread base"
If I am not mistaken, it should be shortbread not shorbread.

Thanks for the catch - I've fixed it.
sircus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Confectioner's sugar Reply with quote

I think I'm right in thinking that this is what's known as icing sugar in the UK. If so, it might be a good addition to the ingredients dictionary...
Callan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Top With Chocolate Leaves and Raspberries Reply with quote

My favorite topping to lemon bars is homemade chocolate leaves.

First pick and wash a few leaves of a citrus tree. Orange leaves work best, as the underside of the orange leaf has veins that stand out.

Melt some semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave so that the chips can be stirred together into a thick paste.

Smear the chocolate paste onto the underside of a leaf.

Refrigerate coated leaves for 5-10 minutes, then gently peel away leaf from chocolate.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Good with lemon bars, or fresh berries and whipped cream.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: nice webpage good instructions Reply with quote

Hi,
As an American living in Finland I don't get these as often as I would like Wink I found this site and just had to try them... better than the mixes I have received from home! Just great! However, how can I get a crispier top? I really like that on my mom's that she made Big smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Successfully cooked these about an hour ago, they're lovely!

Two questions though:

1) When I make shortbread, I only use butter, salt and sugar (usually caster). What is the reason for using cornstarch/cornflour and confectioner's/icing sugar instead of caster or granulated? I couldn't really taste any difference but of course it's hard to differentiate with the lemony goo!

2) You say 'do not substitute' regarding the whole milk. Why? Why not semi-skimmed for instance, which is what I usually have in the fridge.

I can of course experiment, but I would appreciate any feedback and chemical analysis as to why!

A bit of chocolate drizzled onto the top of these lemon bars would be awesome, may have to try that! But frankly, they're sweet enough!

Many thanks for the recipe, and the website as a whole! Smile
tangela

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: coarse meal texture? Reply with quote

Would it be possible to get the "coarse meal texture" for the crust with, say, a pastry cutter? [I am sadly lacking in kitchen appliances...] I've made lemon bars with a crust of just flour, sugar, and butter, which were combined until there were only pea-sized lumps [or smaller] left. Would this work, or is a "coarse meal texture" different?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: coarse meal texture? Reply with quote

tangela wrote:
Would it be possible to get the "coarse meal texture" for the crust with, say, a pastry cutter? [I am sadly lacking in kitchen appliances...] I've made lemon bars with a crust of just flour, sugar, and butter, which were combined until there were only pea-sized lumps [or smaller] left. Would this work, or is a "coarse meal texture" different?

You can certainly use a pastry cutter or a couple knives to produce the same effect. The lumps should be a little smaller than pea sized.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: This sounds wonderful Reply with quote

Really just posting a comment so my 9 yeard son can see how comments work. Thanks for the great recipe.

I find it hilarious that a good portion of the comments relate to copyright -- THIS IS a cooking for engineer's web site. Smile Cool

Robert
Katynstevensmom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hey there. I am an engineer (of the civil variety) with a plethora of lemons from my tree here in California. Looking for ways to use them. Thanks for the recipe! I am going to try it now.
Trouble

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Lemon Reply with quote

Hey all,

My receipe for Spice Lemon requires to use all part of lemon skin which means white and yellow. Although I know white makes bitter taste, I have no choice. Can anyone give me suggestion to get rid of bitter taste any how?
rich.bronson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks Yummy! Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I was cooking another lemon bar recipe from recipezaar.com, and came across your site. How great that you've posted the pictures of the different steps. That is incredibly helpful!

I have made lemon bars from that site too and they came out pretty good, but I like how you relayed your recipe with the pictures and I think they will come out even better.
amature baker

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: lemon bars Reply with quote

Just found your site,it's wonderful! Good recipe format & love the pictures for those who sometimes wonder if it's "looking right" while assembling. In response to the cornstarch question,this is what helps to make the crust (shortbread) so flakey or tender. The milk is different & would make it more like a baked custard. I think it also helps to mellow potential bitterness from the lemon zest. With any baking experience,a sturdy fork,grater,& measuring instruments this could easily be all hand made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: