Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preserve Eggs for a Longer Period

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagufta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Preserve Eggs for a Longer Period Reply with quote

1. Wash the eggs and put them slowly in a container full of lime water or mustard oil. The eggs will not only be preserved for long - they will not get spoiled either.
2. For storing eggs for longer time say for about 30-40 days, you should apply any cooking oil with the help of brush on the egg shell. They will stay for long time.

Huh?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for cooked (hard boiled) eggs or fresh? 30-40 days doesn't seem like that long of a time to store eggs in, let's say, a refrigerator...
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will lime water or mustard oil do to the flavor of the eggs? How strong a solution of lime water?

see this on mustard oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_oil
Auspicious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the major issue with keeping eggs is that the membrane inside the egg dries and pulls away from the shell, allowing air to enter and the egg to spoil.

Washing the eggs removes some of the material on the outside of the egg that helps seal it from air intrusion. Wash the eggs just before use.

There is a lot of discussion and opinion in the sail cruising community about how to keep eggs as long as possible without refrigeration. I presume that the same techniques used with refrigeration would be at least as effective.

My personal experience has been that rotating the eggs (just turn the whole carton over) every two or three days works well. I kept eggs in cool but not refrigerated conditions (less than 75 F and mostly less than 70 F) for over nine weeks without a single egg going bad before use. We bought 14 dozen eggs in England and I ate the last of them a couple of weeks after arriving in the US.

Rotating the egg keeps the internal fluids distributed and presumably air out of the egg.

USDA and FDA have somewhat different perspectives, and both recommend refrigeration below 40 F. The fact that I do differently when sailing offshore doesn't mean I take responsibility for you getting sick. <grin>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum