Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for cooking rice in microwave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagufta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Tips for cooking rice in microwave Reply with quote

Purchase minute rice. Put equal parts of rice and water in a glass casserole or dish (with lid). One cup of rice and one cup of water feeds two people. Multiply recipe for additional servings. Stir and cover. Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Remove from microwave. Stir. Replace cover. Let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Watt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one cup of rice and one cup of water,

at last, someone's got it right.
Only Cookware

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I cook rice in the microwave I always get the problem of the contents overflowing. I can never seem to get it right so I stick with the boiling water in the saucepan method.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I do it, I use a really large bowl (in comparison to the amount of rice+water) then I cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap and pop holes all over the wrap.
SirShazar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to microwave rice, I would use the plastic rice cooking pot that you can get at wal-mart. The lid is two part, one convex and one concave, which causes most the moisture to condense and drip back down.

But I've gotten so proficient at making it on the stove top that I don't need it anymore.
cara_bereck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: rice in the microwave Reply with quote

I do this with basmati rice. I heat a bit of oil, add rinsed rice and salt, heat for a minute add 2 cups of boiling water per one cup of rice.

Then I nuke it for 9 minutes, leave it alone for 10, fluff with a fork if I remember. 9 minutes in my microwave is just short of 'boil-over'. I usually work with 2.5 cups of rice to 5 cups of water.
cara_bereck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: rice in the microwave Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that I use a simple pyrex dish, pyrex cover. I have also used a glass bowl covered with a glass dish, in a pinch. I do not like to use plastic in the microwave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum