Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

slipmat

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mumu33



Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: slipmat Reply with quote

Hi,

Can any one tell if using a slipmat (cookie mat) and a insulated(air) cookie sheet together would be ok? Or are these mats used just on reg. cookie sheets? How will my cookie differ using these two together on insulated sheets and on regular cookie sheets?


Thanks,

Mumu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mumu33



Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: slipmat Reply with quote

Hi,

This is relating to my above question, would the result of the cookie be flat if use a slipmat and insulated cookie sheet? Any comments would be helpful!




Mumu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GaryProtein



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 535

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did that, but all cookies are a little soft and flexible until they cool, so I would say the surface they cool on is what determines if the cookie bottoms are really flat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mumu33



Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: slipmat Reply with quote

Can any one tell me if by using slipmat if you have to add additional time to baking? Been reading and some say yes and others say no. Can anyone answer this for me? Also what about non stick pans is it ok to grease and flour them and also ok to use parchment paper in these as well?




THANK YOU,
MUMU
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SirShazar



Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: slipmat Reply with quote

mumu33 wrote:
Can any one tell me if by using slipmat if you have to add additional time to baking?


No, not really.

mumu33 wrote:
is it ok to grease and flour them and also ok to use parchment paper in these as well?


Yes, yes, and yes. But know that when you're done, more of that grease and flower is gonna be stuck to the food than if you would have used a regular pan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mumu33



Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: slipmat Reply with quote

thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael Chu



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 1635
Location: Austin, TX (USA)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise against using a silicone baking mat in conjunction with an insulated pan. Insulated pans don't conduct heat well and using a baking mat on top of that has always yielded mediocre results for me. In fact, using an insulated pan has never really yielded high quality results. I'm not sure what they are good for - they cost more, slow down baking, and don't brown well (unless they are darkly colored - then they brown and bake slowly - a bad combo). Just get a non-insulated pan. Oh, if you want really flat cookies than the insulated pan is probably good since butter cookies will tend to spread on them since they don't cook as quickly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mumu33



Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SirShazar



Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
I would advise against using a silicone baking mat in conjunction with an insulated pan. Insulated pans don't conduct heat well and using a baking mat on top of that has always yielded mediocre results for me. In fact, using an insulated pan has never really yielded high quality results. I'm not sure what they are good for - they cost more, slow down baking, and don't brown well (unless they are darkly colored - then they brown and bake slowly - a bad combo). Just get a non-insulated pan. Oh, if you want really flat cookies than the insulated pan is probably good since butter cookies will tend to spread on them since they don't cook as quickly.


I saw somewhere that some people like their pale white butter cookies to be the same color on both sides. I personally don't get, but I think thats the reason for insulated baking sheets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group