Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Oven Temperatures
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chef Nick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: volume-weight conversions Reply with quote

Quote:
On Sep 15, 2005 at 6:34 AM, Kitchen Parade (guest) said...
Subject: Thank you!
Thank you for the oven conversions! If you'd tackle the similar kitchen conversions - esp grams/cups which I KNOW aren't technically convertible but yet need to be for cooking practices - it'd be much appreciated. I've searched all over for an easy reference with no luck. Alanna

www.fareshare.net/conversions-volume-to-weight.html is a list by item. you can also use the calculator at www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ to get weight conversions for items in the USDA/FDA food database, along with their nutritional values for the quantities you input.
dont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: British Standard Sponge Cake Reply with quote

I remember being told about the "British Standard Sponge Cake"

Which was a recipe that was to followed exactly as writen.

From the results any problems with the oven could be diagnosed - Temperature, Slope, Hot Spots.
blake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Oven Temps Reply with quote

this article makes me laugh. i was raised that "the closest a man can get to being god was an engineer." (a pe or strong mechanical backgroud, and some civil was encouraged. certainly none of the ee types from our family.

i'll never forget what my mother told my dad after he had recalibrated the oven knob with a marker and masking tape. he was trying to tell her how she'd cook so much better now that is was corrected (it was 25 degrees off @350 f) from the traceable pryrometer he had brought home. he cooked that week. which led to the "if you could teach a monkey to read he could cook anything the finest chef could" arguement. thanks for the memory. b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gas Mark system is a feedback loop. The knob sets the cut of point for the gas supply in a similar way to a steam engine governor. As the oven reaches temperature the gas supply is reduced to a level that no longer maintains the set temperature, the fall in temperature re-opens the valve.

It's a mechanical system, which is why ovens vary between individuals but are consistant in their own responses.
Ripley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Minor nitpicking Reply with quote

It is Celsius.
My gas-powered oven has a scale of 120°C to 280°C marked every 20 degrees.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Minor nitpicking Reply with quote

Ripley wrote:
It is Celsius.

Ah, thanks for catching that. I fixed it.
dark angel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: baking Reply with quote

thank you very much you rescue my cake...
it is quite difficult to bake a cake in a foreign country..
at first the ingreedienz and than the difficulties with the gas oven

by the way I'm from germany
thanks a lot
confoozed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: cooking temperatures Reply with quote

Shock
We are at present residing in Kuwait and tried to learn to cook some of the regional dishes but when we found cookbooks that had interesting items all the temperatures used were referred to vaguely as in-low heat, medium heat etc. hard to decide what this translated to -Thanks for the reference chart
noahzark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: calibrate electric oven Reply with quote

just Google, 'how can I calibrate an electric oven'
Very simple for older non-digital control ovens.
even I was able to correct my oven which was off by 50 degrees
Aissa Galoso

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: conversion lists Reply with quote

wow, what a comprehensive list!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: _position_ in oven Reply with quote

Can someone explain why some recipes specify placing food in the middle of the oven, and others at the top, even if you're only cooking one thing?

Presumably it can't just be that the top is hotter, or one would place things there by default for energy efficiency. Possibilities that spring to mind include:
* Radiant heat from the top inside surface of the oven can be used to brown the food
* It's something about airflow and humidity

I'd love to understand this - thanks for any tips.

Adrian.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: _position_ in oven Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Possibilities that spring to mind include:
* Radiant heat from the top inside surface of the oven can be used to brown the food
* It's something about airflow and humidity

You've got it. Mainly it's due to the radiant heat from the top of the oven than heats food from above faster than below. Most recipes ask you to place the food in the middle so heating from radiation is similar from above and below.
Robt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Oven calibration Reply with quote

If you do have an oven thermometer you trust;Set the oven to a moderate heat like 350°F,Pull the knob off the stove front and you should find a slotted piece of metal behind it that has two like size 00 Philips screws. Loosen and turn the slotted piece so that when you put the knob back on, it reads what the thermometer says. Tighten the screws back.

Its been a long time since I did this so maybe the new electronic controls will be different but I'll bet those have instructions online.
davidshadowcat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: conversion Reply with quote Delete this post

a gram is a milliliter is a cubic centimeter. Five mL is 1 tsp. 15 mL is a Tbsp. 16 Tbsp is a cup, so 240 mL is a cup. This only works for volume, not mass! 240 mL is 0.24 L.

Conversely, a liter is 1000 mL, so 1000/240 = 4.16 cups.

For mass, a kilogram is 2.2 pounds, or 35.2 ounces by weight.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: