Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knife storage or blocks with wide slots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob_shiltz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Knife storage or blocks with wide slots Reply with quote

I like the idea of a knife block. We had one at my old apartment, and it was a joy to use. After posting here (thread) and doing some reading, I ordered the fibrox Forschners. (8" Chef, 10" Bread, 3" paring). I assumed that ChefsKnivesToGo's 8" Forchners Chef was the 2" wide variety, but it turned out that it is roughly 2 1/8" wide instead. The 10" bread knife is also a little wider than normal at a hair more than 1.5" wide. Anyway, I picked up the only empty block my area LNT sells, and neither knife fits in the appropriate slot. I've been doing some reading, and even the Henckels blocks online stop at 2" slots, forcing users to put wider knives in the cleaver slot.

I'm guessing that a fair number of regulars here do own Forschner knives, and if so, I'm wondering what you use to store them. If anyone has found a block that can accomodate wider chefs knives, can you provide me with a link? I don't currently own a cleaver, but it'd be nice to know that I have room for it when I get around to acquiring one.

Edit: I forgot to add- I've seen the Kapoosh block, but I've read that sharper knives start cutting away at the plastic rods themselves. I'd like to not have to examine my knives for stray pieces of plastic before cutting, so that block is kind of a no-no.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the Wusthof knife blocks? I think the Shun blocks may have a wide slot, other than for a cleaver.
SirShazar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about other options? Like a magnetic knife strip?

Also, how was the service from chefsknivestogo.com? I blindly recommended it to you, but I never ordered from there before.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Knife storage or blocks with wide slots Reply with quote

bob_shiltz wrote:
I like the idea of a knife block. We had one at my old apartment, and it was a joy to use. After posting here (thread) and doing some reading, I ordered the fibrox Forschners. (8" Chef, 10" Bread, 3" paring). I assumed that ChefsKnivesToGo's 8" Forchners Chef was the 2" wide variety, but it turned out that it is roughly 2 1/8" wide instead. The 10" bread knife is also a little wider than normal at a hair more than 1.5" wide. Anyway, I picked up the only empty block my area LNT sells, and neither knife fits in the appropriate slot. I've been doing some reading, and even the Henckels blocks online stop at 2" slots, forcing users to put wider knives in the cleaver slot.

I'm guessing that a fair number of regulars here do own Forschner knives, and if so, I'm wondering what you use to store them. If anyone has found a block that can accomodate wider chefs knives, can you provide me with a link? I don't currently own a cleaver, but it'd be nice to know that I have room for it when I get around to acquiring one.

Edit: I forgot to add- I've seen the Kapoosh block, but I've read that sharper knives start cutting away at the plastic rods themselves. I'd like to not have to examine my knives for stray pieces of plastic before cutting, so that block is kind of a no-no.

Whull, it's wood right? Just go to your local hardware store and get a saw blade that will fit through and make it whatever width you need. Make it fit!

Biggles
bob_shiltz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordering from ChefsKnivesToGo was pretty typical. I received my shipment about 5 business days after placing the order, everything was there, etc. There were other competitors that offered individual knives for cheaper, but I also wanted a pair of shears. For total pricing for my order (8" Chef, 10" bread, 3" paring, take-apart shears), CKTG was the best.

I thought about using a saw blade, but in order to widen the slots enough, I'd be coming very close to the beginning of an adjacent slot. There's too much risk for me damaging the block I bought to justify a DIY. And it looks like any other block I order is going to be expensive enough that I won't want to take a saw to it.

I looked into magnetic strips, but they don't really fit my needs. There's a good chance that I'd eventually nick the blades, and I'm weary of having knives hanging over my counter like that. I don't want to put them in my drawers because drawer-space is kind of precious right now, and I don't want to stack things on top of them.

The other thing I've found is the Henckel's drawer block. It might work because I wouldn't have a problem throwing stuff on top of knives if I know their blades are protected. The problem is I'd still end up devoting a whole drawer to 5 knives.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob_shiltz wrote:
Ordering from ChefsKnivesToGo was pretty typical. I received my shipment about 5 business days after placing the order, everything was there, etc. There were other competitors that offered individual knives for cheaper, but I also wanted a pair of shears. For total pricing for my order (8" Chef, 10" bread, 3" paring, take-apart shears), CKTG was the best.

I thought about using a saw blade, but in order to widen the slots enough, I'd be coming very close to the beginning of an adjacent slot. There's too much risk for me damaging the block I bought to justify a DIY. And it looks like any other block I order is going to be expensive enough that I won't want to take a saw to it.

I looked into magnetic strips, but they don't really fit my needs. There's a good chance that I'd eventually nick the blades, and I'm weary of having knives hanging over my counter like that. I don't want to put them in my drawers because drawer-space is kind of precious right now, and I don't want to stack things on top of them.

The other thing I've found is the Henckel's drawer block. It might work because I wouldn't have a problem throwing stuff on top of knives if I know their blades are protected. The problem is I'd still end up devoting a whole drawer to 5 knives.

Hmmm, totally hip. My knives slip off (my fault) once in a while and have to go digging behind the cutting block and stove from time to time. J. Child gave me inspiration as to how to mount the magnetic rigs. The magnetic strips run up and down, not horizontally. Kinda nice to look at.

I have one more suggestion and was inspired from a WWII US Army knife roll I found on ebay. The thing has these huge brass eyelets that looked as though it was all set up to be hung on the wall. Come in, get to work, leave. I don't know about how much wall space you have, but you may be able to hang a few hooks and put some eyelets in your knife roll, that you may or may not have handy. Eyelets can be found at any decent hadware store or marine chandlery. When you're ready to cook, yank out your knife roll hidden amongst yer pans and hang, even over existing items on your wall. When done and dry, return blades, roll and stow. All that remains are a few hooks and a memory of a wonderful meal. That and maybe a sink full of dishes. Also might be handy for camping or catering of some such.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum