Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sous Vide (vacuum) Food processor/Blender
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CookNewb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent suggestion! Thank you! Err... I just thought of something. If the Blender is not made to be used sous vide, then is the bottom of the jar here the blades are attached going to be air tight, or is it going to suck air in as the blades spin?
thank you again for the suggestion! Looking forward to your reply!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually sounds like a good idea. You will probably maintain a respectable vacuum with the blades spinning. Even if you do spring a small leak, you can keep pumping the air out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can just realize that the reason that your strawberries taste bad when you blend them is that you are cutting up all the cells that have the taste and that mashing them doesn't destroy as many. Once you realize this you will figure out that no matter what blender, in what atmisphere, will all taste the same (unless you are blending for like 5 min straight). The only difference is the vaccume after you are done. So once you are done, you throw it in a jar and use a foodsaver unit. Wink
CookNewb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be completely honest, that does not sound right. I would think that cutting up all the cells of the strawberries RELEASES the flavor COMPOUNDS that make the strawberry taste like it does. As they are released by a blender, I would think that the blade mixes the air (oxygen) with the flavour compounds thoroughly, oxidizing them. When you mash the strawberry with a fork, less air is mixed with the flavour compounds, therefore the mashed strawberry retains more of its flavor. This seems to me what is happeneing which is why I want a vacuumed blender or food processor.
CookNewb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, does anyone have an eGullet.org account? if you do, could you please post my question there? I am too lazy to set up an account there and also I only have this question to ask so it would not be practicvcal to set up an account there.
Thank you in advance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum