Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cornbread Recipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Cornbread Recipes Reply with quote

Can't speak for everyone, but enjoy reading through 30 year old + cookbooks. The first two things I look for are cornbread recipes, then fried chicken recipes. So far, the best one I've enjoyed in my brother inlaw's No Cookie Ingredients Cornbread. No flour, no sugar.

Here's the recipe:

Buttermilk - 2 cuppa
Eggs - 1 Egg
Bacon Fat - 1/4 cuppa
Mayonaise - an optional dollup
Corn Meal - 2 cuppa
Baking Soda - 3/4 teaspoonful
Salt (Kosher) - Pinch it!

Combine dry with dry and wet with wet. No wait, preheat your oven to 450 first, I lowered rack to bottom. Then combine dry with dry and wet with wet and make sure you sift the B. Soda.
I let my buttermilk & egg lose it's chill.
Rub your 10" cast iron skillet with liberal amounts of bacon fat.
If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you cannot reproduce this cornbread. Stop now and either give up or find one, ask Mommy or Gramma.
Mix your batter together and pour into room temperature skillet. I decided since the batter looked like a blank canvas, that I should lay a slice of crisped bacon in the center with two sprigs of fresh thyme, love the thyme. Meathead won't allow extrees, but I like the idea, so topped my batter.
Install to the oven for about 25 minutes or so, until done.
Let rest a while and SLICE. Serve with a pat of butter over top with honey slooping down and allowing to puddle on the plate.
Life has never been this good.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum