Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone have a good idea for a sandwich?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyblue64

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Does anyone have a good idea for a sandwich? Reply with quote

If anyone has a good idea for a new and original sandwich, please post your ideas here. I'm just looking for a good idea for a sandwich that I can use for my lunch when I go to school. I've tried the ordinary, and I'm looking for something extraordinary. Anyone have any good ideas?
opqdan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day, my wife and I grilled up some portabello mushroom caps after brushing them with a little olive oil, and a sprinkling of salt, pepper, a dash or onion powder and a dash of garlic powder. We ate them on chewy onion/cheese kaiser rolls with a sauce made of basil, olive oil, garlic, and ricotta cheese.

It was perhaps the greatest sandwich I had ever eaten, although now that I think about it, roasted red pepper slices would make it even better.

As a bonus, it is vegetarian (as long as cheese is OK). I'm a carnivore myself, but I would eat this over a burger (almost) any day.
nina

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: fillings Reply with quote

Banana walnut and cream cheese is great
chopped hard boiled egg , celery and mayonaise
chopped dates, cream cheese , celery and wallnut
sliced beef, caramalised onion, and horse radish mayo is devine
cheese and vegimite
chopped dried apricots, brie, and apple
chopped cooked bacon and a little creamed corn with chilli sauce.
The main trick with a good sandwich is to have contrasting textures which is why things like blt are so famous. All creamy is ok but a mix is the best.
mmoscosa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Fresh tomato sandwich Reply with quote

Well, the subject says it all,

I tried this when in England as a exchange student, we had plaint tomato sandwich, then afterwards I came to add one more ingredient, cheese

is easy and fast:

One hole tomato
Cheese (I use Panela [Link ])
Bread (preferable integral)

slice the tomato, you should get between 4 and 8 slices of tomato, put it between the bread and add the cheese on top of the tomatoes. toast the whole sandwich until the cheese melts.

It's really fresh and good for summer!
Teasing
dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some semolina bread, put baked eggplant, tomato, a basil leaf, and a big (1/2 inch thick) piece of mozzarella between two slices. Get some balsalmic vinegar and olive oil to lightly coat and/or dip the bread into. You'll have a tough time getting your mouth around it, but it can be done, and it is delicious.
darus67

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut butter and Salami!
M from London

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Canadian specialty: PB and... Reply with quote

My Canadian uncle used to make this for me when I visited. Note that this is NOT a healthy recipe - would now probably constitute child abuse, but this was 30 years ago...

Two slices of toasted bread (white or wholemeal)
Crispy bacon (turkey or pork, it doesn't need to be hot)
Peanut butter

It sounds strange, I know, but somehow the salt/sweet/crunch combo is a real winner. Everyone I know who's tried it liked it in the end. (Presuming they were not vegetarian, but a non-meat bacon might work.)
ChemMe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a muffuletta on a bagel, its really good.
pbone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not, perhaps your healthiest combo, but ever so refreshing, delicious and easy. Two slices of good white bread, lightly toasted or raw. Spread one side w/ mayo. Spread the other with good peanut butter. Place crisp leaves of iceberg or Romaine lettuce...lots of it...on the sandwich, and close. I grew up in the Midwest, and we called these "summer sandwiches". Try it before you knock it! I find sometime I still crave them. The combo of flavors, tart, nutty, salty...and textures is really fab.
pbone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have specified "Hellman's mayonnaise"...NEVER KRAFT. We were mayo snobs and I still find nothing beats Hellman's for that good lemony, tart flavor.
Slinky Malinky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Yummy sandwich Reply with quote

Plain and simple...

1 6" lengths baguette
2 tbsp honey mustard
4 oz good ham
4 thin slices cheddar cheese
1 granny smith apple, sliced

Cut the bread in half lengthwise. Smear mustard on each slice. Put the ham in the oven or microwave just long enough to heat through.

Layer 2 oz of ham on each baguette half, top with half the sliced apple and 2 slices of cheese. Put under a broiler until the cheese is melty and toasty and brown. Serve open-faced.
Zemquat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Turkey and Avocado Reply with quote

best sandwich i've ever had:

sourdough bread, herb seasoned mayo, 3-4 slices avocado, 3-4 slices turkey, sprouts, tomato, provolone cheese. yummy
abusymother

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: "Sandwich Maker Grill Recipes" Pizza Pocket Sandwi Reply with quote

Electric Sandwich maker grills are a quick and easy alternative to peaniut butter and jelly sandwiches. If you family is like mine, pizza is a favorite, but homemade pizza takes hours and some planning. Ordering out is very convenient, but it can be expensive. Especially when everyone wants different toppings.

An electric sandwich maker grill is a way to make everyone happy. Combine sandwiches with pizza and you get pizza sandwiches. The best way to do it, is to put out the toppings and have a "make your own" party. Everyone gets a custom made grill pizza sandwich. Younger children can do this with help and older kids can do this on their own.

It is so simple that if you get a sandwich grill and keep ingredients in the fridge, your teenagers can do this for a snack after school. Your kids will love this and mom gets a break. This is great for an activity and dinner.

Grill Pizza Pocket Sandwiches

Ingredients:

bread
pizza sauce
pepperoni(optional)
cheese
butter
Directions:

Get 2 pieces of bread and spread sauce on one piece. Do not get it on the edges or it will not seal very well.
Then place your cheese slices on the top of the sauce.
Place pepperoni or whatever toppings you desire on the cheese.
Place the other piece of bread on top like a sandwich.
Spread butter lightly on both sides of the sandwich.
Place the sandwich in the sandwich maker grill and cook.
The pizza sandwiches will be very hot inside, so allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homemade bread

Homemade mayonnaise

Fresh makings

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Sandwich Reply with quote

I too have this problem - I run out of interesting ideas for my lunches.
Sometimes it helps to try different breads - like english muffins, pita pocket breads, tortillas. I sometimes bring my fillings separately so the bread doesn't get soggy. Hard boiled eggs with mayo and capers is good and easy. Quesadillas are nice, if you have a place to warm them up. Make some felafel or lamb meatballs and stick them in a pita with cucumber sauce. Grilled onion, sweet pepper and mushrooms covered with cheese on a crispy tortilla is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum