Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISO: Hand Guard for Japanese Mandoline Slicer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: ISO: Hand Guard for Japanese Mandoline Slicer Reply with quote

Hi there
I am looking a replacement hand guard for my Japanese Mandoline Slicer. Or even some diy instructions.
Thanks (and yes, I have all my fingers although a lost a little bit of my thumb!)
SirShazar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can MacGyver a guard, but if you wanna step it up get yourself an industrial cut resistant glove (if you can afford it, get the wire mesh kind).

http://www.galasource.com/products.cfm/Cut-Resistent-Gloves.474
mnop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirShazar wrote:
You can MacGyver a guard, but if you wanna step it up get yourself an industrial cut resistant glove (if you can afford it, get the wire mesh kind).

http://www.galasource.com/products.cfm/Cut-Resistent-Gloves.474

Thanks for the info. I already was aware of the gloves. Still in search of a hand guard replacement.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to the disk with short spikes on one side to grab onto the food, and a handle that fits your palm on the other side, I would try Williams-Sonoma or a restaurant supply house.
mnop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
If you are referring to the disk with short spikes on one side to grab onto the food, and a handle that fits your palm on the other side, I would try Williams-Sonoma or a restaurant supply house.

Yes I was. I checked with Williams-Sonoma (where I think the mandoline came from), and they little.... well no help. In the end I found a hand guard by Borner which is 200% better then the little plastic one. It is well-designed. I had considered the glove (the guy in me.... another single-tasker to quote Alton Cool, but decided the hand guard was more practical and cheaper ($5 vs $20)
Thanks all.
PS: I got mine at Surfas Restaurant Supply but found it online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum