Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What am I going to do with all of this scrap?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteEverything

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: What am I going to do with all of this scrap? Reply with quote

At work I have pounds upon pounds of beef tenderloin scrap and chain meat piling up in my freezer and I can't think of anything to do with it! It's driving me nuts and messing with my inventory. Does anyone have a good Italian idea?
SirShazar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I honestly haven't had much luck with tenderloin chain meat. With the scraps you could make a your beef stock or a sauce. When you say scrap, do you mean sinew and fat, or do you actually have small pieces?

If you can manage to remove all traces of sinew than you can grind the meat for burgers and meatballs.
Thor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Eats used the chain for cheese steaks. But I’ve always assumed that there had been a ton of off screen labor necessary to remove the unwanted parts. If you give it a shot, and are interested in going Italian, you can be extremely un-Philly and use tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.

If you have chunks, chili comes to mind. Maybe lasagna, or meat ravioli.
Ghancock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Just a thought Reply with quote

First, trim the meat out of the chain then you can do any of the following

You could make multiple different soups with italian herb combinations.

You could grind it up as an addition to your groud beef making it more tender and leaner.

You could use them in raosted TYPE dishes. Such as take a pound or so of the trimmings and then marinate them in red wine and rosemary overnight. Then brown them (very quickly) and add them to a mixture of rough chopped tomatos, onions, celery, potatos (par cooked), whole garlic cloves, and quartered mushrooms. Lightly coat in olive oil and place in a single or double layer. Roast at about 400deg until done. (Probably about 10 minutes or so, you can really tell when the tomatos have softened). I would suggest a very light olive oil (Not extra virgin) as it will overpower the dish.

You can use them on Kabobs.

Bake them into pies

Sautee them into a pasta dish.

Pretty much endless here. All of which can easily be made italian. Seriously, most of italian cuisine is based into fresh vegetables and certain herbs and spices anyway.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum