Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Meat Lasagna
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny rosh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Alternative lasagne Reply with quote

My family have always made lasagne in the same sort of way as this, but my mother in law, a genuine WOP makes it substantialy differently.
The sauce for the meat is the same, but instead of using minced meat she makes small meatballs with strong cheese and herbs. Also in the meat layer she adds crumbled boiled eggs, and crumbled mozzerella for texture.
Just incase anyone feels like experimenting sometime.
John in Mississippi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Authentic lasagna recipe Reply with quote

Michael, I know this is like almost a two year old question. But, I wanted to know if you by chance have that original lasagna recipe that fulvio posted? I went to the forum and checked for it and could not find. If you could help or anyone else who knows the recipe for an authentic Italian lasagna recipe.

Thanks in advance

John in Mississippi
Trudy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Lasanga Reply with quote

Thank You, the recipe was great. This was the first time I've prepared lasanga. It was very time consuming, but worth it. My husband should enjoy it, I sure did. I wish the ingreidiants were at the begining, though. The pictures were very helpful.
M in London

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks for this recipe Reply with quote

I had been searching for a recipe that used this type of ingredients, just needed the ratios and methodology - and yours was perfect. The tip for spreading the ricotta on the noodles outside of the pan was ACE! So much easier. Of course, being in England I had to convert all measures to metric - and it's difficult to find proper spicy Italian sausage here for some reason. But not a problem - the recipe is flexible enough to take a bit of measurement rounding, and was fine with all beef (and extra seasoning). My dinner guests have called it "the best ever", so thank you.
ANON

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Consequently, from this experience, I will now try recipes found at other web sites before I try another recipe from this site.
David, an Engineer learning to cook better. Anger

Silly engineers! Even you should know better than to start something without reading all of the instructions 1st. Shame.
Stephanie in TX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Great Recipe Reply with quote

Made this for a group of friends and they devoured it. Highly recommended.
Marc611

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Great Lasgna Reply with quote

I just made this recipe for the second time. Perfect! And thanks for pointing out the sauce issue. I made a bit extra which came out just right. This is the best lasagna I ever made.

Marc in NYC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who think this kind of lasagna is "wrong" and not Italian: visit Campania some around Carnivale time.
Sarah

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Awesome lasagna! Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this recipe! I've made it a handful of times and it always comes out perfect. It's VERY popular with my family and friends. Any time I'm going to a potluck or dinner party people always request that I make this lasagna.

My brother, who is a really picky eater and has refused to eat lasagna since we were kids because he says it's "gross", even ended up trying and LOVING this lasagna so much that he wanted a second helping!

Best lasagna ever!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS IS THE CRAPPEST SITE EVER FUCK U ALL!!!!
GET A LIFE AND STOP WASTING TIME TALKING ABOUT LASAGNE!!!

Anger Anger Anger

dumbasses
Shaun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Lasagne Reply with quote

Good recipe, easy to follow with some very helpful tips on 'building' the perfect lasagne stack.

Great pics too..will be trying this one soon.

Why all the defamatory replies people...It's a useful post
that probably doesn't such negative comments...
It's great tasting food for goodness sake.

Cheers

Shaun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Here is My FIRST EVER Lasagne..
Was quite pleased with the result after noticing there is only 9 millions variations on this great dish, lol...
Ok, It's not verbatim from the above recipe supplied in this thread,
but closely follows the 'traditional' from the 8.3 million sites i gleaned lol
way of putting a Lasagne together.
My Family Loved it and said...no don't put it away just yet ...several times.

Thanks again 'Cooking For Engineers' for the inspiration Big smile

Halfway thorugh the Bake we have a quick check,
Can you smell the aromatic melted cheeses ?

Where's that Spatula ?, This Baby's Ready to Serve>>

So's who's up for a Late Night Supper ?
imolgen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: American Lasagne and Beschemel Sauce Reply with quote

This recipe is so cool. It's so American ("ground chuck" - what?!!). I've never been to America, but I have this idea of the food that is eaten there from films and television - big, massive, overloaded pizzas, coffee and pie, Italian-American diners serving huge plates of spag-bol, buffalo steak, Chinese eaten out of cartons! It always looks really fatty and sticky and morish and lovely. Can't wait to try this recipe - it's exactly how I'd want an American lasagne to look if I went to an Italian American eatery in New York.

Re the beschemel sauce: it's my downfall when making lasagnes. I find it hard to get the quantity and, more importantly, the consistency right. It either turns out too floury and seeps through the whole lasagne, nullifying the flavours in the meat sauce, or too watery. It's also hard (or at least time-consuming) to avoid lumps in the sauce. I've noticed that it's very sensitive to the amount of flour you use when starting the roux, and that you can't add more flour if you think the sauce is too thin, as this will only make the sauce lumpy. And even when you get the consistency right, it still tastes too floury. Any tips on how to make a good beschemel sauce would be really appreciated!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imolgen -

the white sauce should not be too bad - I don't seem to have the issue with lumps, etc, so here's a short course how I do it

use equal parts by volume of butter and all purpose flour
the amounts: for approx 1 liter, 120 grams butter, 8 tablespoons flour = 120 ml - the US is fixated on volumetric measures but roughly 60-65 grams. the density of flour varies with the brand / sifted / etc - small amount can be misleading so I use volumes in this instance. do make notes on how much of what brand flour / liquid you use so the next attempt can be improved based on prior experience....

on a low flame, melt the butter - get it hot enough to drive out the water in the butter - ie no foaming left. sprinkle in flour, using a whisk, combine. the whisk is pretty a necessity to get out the lumps - as is getting rid of any water in the butter (which tends to make lumps as soon as the flour is added....)

cook the butter flour mix 4-5 minutes at a low just bubbling temp - that should "cook" the flour and eliminate the raw flour taste.

slow add while whisking about 500 ml of liquid - milk, half milk/half light cream/ your choice. the more toward cream you go, the richer the sauce but 100% cream is a bit overpowering.....

as the mix heats up, it thickens. you must bring the entire contents "to a boil" essentially to see the final thickened state - the temp is key - if you don't get it hot enough it will not reach a thickened equilibrium. I usually stop stirring and watch to see if big bubble burps come up through the sauce - then you know it is fully up to temp.
you may need to add some liquid to keep it "loose" enough to stir easily. burning the bottom of a white sauce is a no-no, so constant stirring / attention is a good thing.

then adjust the final consistency with milk / liquid.

the "needed" consistency for a dish varies - for example I do a clam&shrimp dish using the white sauce above and adjusting the thickness is easy "right at the end" - it's served over pasta.

for baked macaroni & cheese, I thin it down - because the pasta absorbs a lot of moisture in the bake cycle. if the sauce goes in too thick, the end dish is a pot of cheese glue. I don't use a white sauce in lasagna - but I imagine a similar approach is needed - the sauce needs to be "too thin looking" on assembly to come out "right" after the baking.
Martino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gente i'm Martino, from Italy, well this Lasagna Recipe is almost correct in italian tradition but not many peoples use ricotta cheese, usually we use:
Bolognese sauce: a tomato sauce with fresh meat, the one in the recipe it's ok (too mutch garlic!!!!in italy we don't use so mutch garlic!).
Besciamella: it's a cream made of butter, flour and milk.
Mozzarella cheese usally not grated but cut in slices.
And of course the Lasagne pasta; if you want a really good Lasagna prepare yourself the pasta, sadly i don't rember now the recipe so i will not make a mess with a wrong recipe.....

Your recipe is really good, i recommed you to use only the besciamella and the mozzarella cheese in the place of the ricotta\grated parmesan cheese...but you've done a good job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: