Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Roasted Asparagus Spears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Okra Reply with quote

This method is also good for uncut okra pods. I leave out the pepper, and eat them as a finger food.
Trip D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Roasted asparagus Reply with quote

It takes another 5 minutes of prep time, but try peeling the stalks before the oil and salt treatment. What you lose in mass you'll get back twofold in tenderness. Really makes them melt in your mouth.
THE T

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Oven Temp Reply with quote

My oven doesn't reach 500dF according to my thermocouple; but acording to its lights it does. Common?

Now for who cares conversation...

I do not feel that it makes a big difference if I read 487dF. Nor do I really care if I read dC, dF. dK or dR in posts. I think the sensible thing is to use your countrie's, states's or what ever's is prevailant system.

I don't really care if we use hexidecima lor octal for assembly programming. Or KIPS or KPSI. Also I prefer linear sliderules, I only have 1 Post Versilog Bamboo, 2 Plasic and 5 circular.

I am fine with us using what ever SL or cpu or calc u want.

My COCO and Timex(Sinclair) still works. I know a little about electrinics, software, Iowa farming, being University Proffessor, and determining what is in the ground and how to identify it.

But I want to know about how to cook!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Top off with cheese Reply with quote

For a slight protein boost, you can also put some cheese on top before baking/roasting.

I think mozerella would be the best although I'm usually quite the lazy poke and go with the kraft cheddar slices I find in the fridge. Add in only after about 5 mins if you prefer your cheese a little more 'wet' than crispy.

I've done this in the regular toaster oven too if you don't have a regular oven. Toasting time will need to be a little longer though.

The aluminium foil is a great idea too! Esp when trying to clean out crusted cheese!

- Geri
woodNfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: try this instead Reply with quote

Hey, I love roasted and grilled asparagus, but the way I learned to cook it from my mom was to give it an egg bath then coat it with corn meal and fry it in a pan of shallow oil. It's delicious with a crispy nutty flavor. the only thing I do differently now is mix 50 % corn meal and 50% flour, then spice it with garlic powder, salt, pepper and oregano. Delicious!
herbalista

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: I'll never steam again! Reply with quote

This is so good! And olive oil is good for your skin, so use your hands to oil the stalks.
I've been wanting to try this for a long time. I've always butter-steamed and served with mayo, which was great, but oh my.
I finally did this tonight, expecting a lot of family resistance of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" variety. I got it until they tasted it, now this is all they want. I cooked one bunch, with 4 kept back to take for family dinner tomorrow. We'll be taking 3 because I had to cook another bunch.
This is just asparagus to the highest power.

BTW, I save the bottoms in a freezer bag. When I get enough, I buy another fresh bunch for the tops and cook all the bottoms in stock, blend it, strain it, mix in the tops and chopped stalks, add cream, butter, whatever...it's a wing-it recipe for cream of asparagus soup. I've even done it with soy milk and flour for vegan friends.
Chicago Ski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Gilled Asparagus Reply with quote

To grill asparagus, take some wooden skewers and make small fences of asparagus. Usually, I put about 4-5 stalks together. Easy to grill, turn and won't fall through the grates.
Angelika

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Superb! Reply with quote

I'll never make asparagus any other way!
newbee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Lemonized roasted asparagus Reply with quote

We usually add not just the juice of a half lemon (more or less) but also a good deal of the zest from that lemon. We also prefer to roast them until they are somewhat crisp at the pointy end. One of us believes that zesting the lemon 'deep' gives a bitter flavor, so stick to just the first yellow layer.
Lubos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: engineers Reply with quote

Hi Michael, I recently started a website where I post step-by-step instructions for making Slovak food, www . slovakcooking . com. When I showed it to some folks at work (NASA Goddard), they mentioned that I should visit CookingForEngineers. We engineers really do think alike! Great site, by the way.
Beaglefun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved all the suggestions for fixing Asparagus. I generally steam cook it with a little salt, then sprinkle some lemons juice on it.

Another twist on this is to fix eggplant, zucchini, and peppers the same way. I like to add garlic powder to it. Very good!!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: