Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Orange Juice Shelf Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: whoa!

Once the orange juice has been opened, it no longer has an indefinite shelf life and should be refrigerated. That OJ spent the night at bacteria and microbe producing temperatures and if you drank out of the container previously, then a culture of bacteria has been introduced into a sugar and water rich environment....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I downed a bottle of orange juice. This glass bottle had been sitting on a coworker's desk for two years. It had been pasteurized, so I was not worried about getting sick, although it had turned brownish.

On the label was written the words 'Improved Taste'. They weren't kidding - it was still pretty good.
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was getting ready to drink my OJ that expired 11 days ago, until i read the last bit of your post. now i'm scared. i think if i add some vodka, the alcohol will kill off anything nasty.
Taamar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OJ is unlikely to 'go bad' except that it might ferment. Its high acidity makes it fairly safe from bacteria.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tasted (unknowingly) a 6 year old opened (albeit refridgerated) bottle of Pepsi. Needless to say the flavor was completely different then expected. It was similar to carbonated water... perhaps that's what battery acid tastes like?
Looking for mayonnaise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Old orange juice Reply with quote

Hmm... I started out looking for tarter sauce, found mayonnaise and now old orange juice. It's kind of funny, but I have an old can of orange juice that has been refrigerated for maybe 10 years. I might have owned it for longer, but curious if it is still good. I had been holding onto it because I needed to find a good use for it. You see, it (meaning a previous can) has somewhat of a bitter taste, kind of like it had too much of the inside of the peeling in the juice. Now I am really curious, has it also turned brown? It is inside of a can, so it is in a dark place and it has been refrigerated, but it is now very old. What I had been thinking of using it for would be to reduce it and use it in a BBQ sauce. But now it makes me think it could now be a rather large orange beer or something even more terrible tasting. Shock

Of course I have been told by some people I use to work with that shelf life or dating things is only for America. They tell me that in their countries nothing ever expires. You see, I am fixing to make some lemon pickle and thinking how the spices that were givin to me to make that are now over 10 years old too. Haven't used them in about 10 years either.

Found this web site today and been reading about making mayonnaise, Costco cookware, some test recipes and now old, past shelf life orange juice. Sounds like your juice is not that old, maybe you should take a sip. Mine is in a large juice can, so if I open it, it will have to be finished within a week or perhaps tossed right away.

I must admit though, this is a rather cool cooking web site. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: past due date Reply with quote

Heard a news broadcast about orange crops not doing so well in California, then noticed the price of oranges went up. Saw a sale on Dole orange juice, looked at the expiry date, it said Feb 22, 2007, so bought two. Consumed one before Feb 22 then started chugging the other on the 22nd.
Woke up heaving in the middle of the night and having coughing fits, ears ringing, and started heaving heavy. Cough hurts my chest and feels like it is closing in, the taste in my mouth is awful, painfully dry.
Im five months pregnant and when I looked at the bottle again noticed that the expiry date on that container was Dec 24, 2006. Im drinking plenty of milk and sucking on honey, but am worried now due to all the pain and acidicky feeling.
My girlfriend told me that's why you should always look. It's been 21 hours now and I feel like a volcano or dragon, and am worried about the baby.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: past due date Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Heard a news broadcast about orange crops not doing so well in California, then noticed the price of oranges went up. Saw a sale on Dole orange juice, looked at the expiry date, it said Feb 22, 2007, so bought two. Consumed one before Feb 22 then started chugging the other on the 22nd.
Woke up heaving in the middle of the night and having coughing fits, ears ringing, and started heaving heavy. Cough hurts my chest and feels like it is closing in, the taste in my mouth is awful, painfully dry.
Im five months pregnant and when I looked at the bottle again noticed that the expiry date on that container was Dec 24, 2006. Im drinking plenty of milk and sucking on honey, but am worried now due to all the pain and acidicky feeling.
My girlfriend told me that's why you should always look. It's been 21 hours now and I feel like a volcano or dragon, and am worried about the baby.

Uhm, try calling Dole. The number should be in the carton. Was this refrigerated orange juice or the shelf stable variety?
2embarassed2tellU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: I tried some old old old orange juice about 10 minutes ago Reply with quote

Well I just had a baby and I was anemic during pregnancy and still am so I have to take iron pills with orange juice. Well the orange juice has been in my fridge since atleast Feb. 22 so it's oldddddddddd. Anyway I just now decided to start taking my iron pills again because I was getting a headache and I swallowed the beer tasting nasty a#$ orange juice about 10 minutes ago.....as for what's going to happen I'll let you guys know. Hope I'm able to make to the computer after this lol! Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: I tried some old old old orange juice about 10 minutes a Reply with quote

2embarassed2tellU wrote:
Well I just had a baby and I was anemic during pregnancy and still am so I have to take iron pills with orange juice. Well the orange juice has been in my fridge since atleast Feb. 22 so it's oldddddddddd. Anyway I just now decided to start taking my iron pills again because I was getting a headache and I swallowed the beer tasting nasty a#$ orange juice about 10 minutes ago.....as for what's going to happen I'll let you guys know. Hope I'm able to make to the computer after this lol! Smile

Please don't drink opened orange juice that's old. Even if the orange juice is sealed, if it's the refrigerated type (not the shelf stable variety), then you shouldn't drink it past the expiration date.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downed a half gallon carton of Orange Juice that had a sell by of March 12, 2007- flavorless, but still orange.
ooooop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: shelf life Reply with quote

Grin, the info is now at http://www.fcs.uga.edu/ext/pubs/html/FDNS-E-34-2.html
about 2/3 the way down the page under Frequently Asked Questions About Food Dates and Storage.

Re: old orange juice: While doing major yard work on a very hot day, and having skipped lunch which caused blood sugar, i.e., energy, to drop to zero, I drank some Tropicana in plastic bottles that had turned dark after a year unrefrigerated. No ill effects except in my mind worrying about the sweet juice that had little acid to ward off bacteria.
ooooop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: shelf life Reply with quote

Oh sorry, I forgot. The biggest thing I was worried about was how much plastic leached into the juice.
nicu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries don't taste like pepsi nor vice versa altough pepsi max has a different taste Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: old OJ from a vending machine Reply with quote

I just had 14 day expired OJ for breakfast today because it was still in the Vending Machine and I payed a freaking dollar for it. Welches brand, and only 10oz I think I got jipped. Anyways I found this site looking to see if it was a smart move and it still had its yellow/orange color, but damn did it taste awful.

Like drinking orange flavored acid, this stuff was terrible and suffice to say im still tasting it in my mouth. Now maybe it was fine and Welches is just a disgusting brand of OJ. You think if I left a note I could get my dollar back for getting 2 weeks expired Orange Juice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: