Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kitchen Suggestions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johneegeek_repost

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: New Kitchen Suggestions Reply with quote

Since you don't usually buy appliances for the Kitchen that often, there aren't many discussions on major appliances...

I am, however, building a new house! Which means a new kitchen! Big smile
And now am completely overwhelmed with all the options for ovens, cooktops, etc.

One thing that we've decided is to get separate ovens and cooktop. Two built in electric ovens and a gas cooktop.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which features are important, things they like about their cooktops/ovens/kitchen. Is a convection oven that much better?

Suggestion of other kitchen design things would be handy too if you have any opinions.
Of course, I can't go crazy as I don't have an unlimited budget.
Guest_rexmo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about the electric oven? I think gas bakes a better loaf.
Johneegeek_repost

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest_rexmo wrote:
Are you sure about the electric oven? I think gas bakes a better loaf.

Hmmm.... I was sure... Now I don't know.
I thought electric would be better for an oven.
Homegreene

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my convection oven. It's an American Harvest counter top model and I've had it around 15 years. Convection cooks quicker and baked goods seem to raise better. But the best part of the convection oven is the wonderful crispy crunch it gives to certain foods. Things like frozen french fries come out just as crispy as the fried version, but without all that grease. My favorite is to take a pork roast or turkey breast, salt and pepper it and then throw in the convection oven for about an hour, comes out juicy in the middle and very crispy on the outside. This is also a great method for cuban mojo pork. If I was creating a new kitchen and price was no object I would definitly want a convection oven.

Homey
Dr. Biggles

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kitchen Suggestions Reply with quote

Johneegeek_repost wrote:
Since you don't usually buy appliances for the Kitchen that often, there aren't many discussions on major appliances...

I am, however, building a new house! Which means a new kitchen! Big smile
And now am completely overwhelmed with all the options for ovens, cooktops, etc.

One thing that we've decided is to get separate ovens and cooktop. Two built in electric ovens and a gas cooktop.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which features are important, things they like about their cooktops/ovens/kitchen. Is a convection oven that much better?

Suggestion of other kitchen design things would be handy too if you have any opinions.
Of course, I can't go crazy as I don't have an unlimited budget.

Wow, man what a job to take on. Sounds as though you have a lot of homework in front of you.

Gas ovens are nice, but remember. A burning natural gas flame creates moisture. Which is why I cannot use it to keep waffles & fried chicken warm, they come out mushy in no time. Gas ovens tend to recover the loss of heat quicker than an electric. Electric ovens tend to be a tad more accurate which is why fancy new ranges are now coming with gas cooktops and electric ovens, the best of both worlds. If you have the money, Convection is usually a clear choice. I have an older portable one. What it does with pie crusts, pizza, cookies & baked potatoes isn't recreatable in anything less. Plus the convection cuts down on cook time, this will give YOU more time for beverage consumption.

Whatever you do, make sure you put your hands on tons of cooktops and ovens. Play with the racks & knobs, check out construction and see which is less jicky.

You may also consider a rebuilt antique stove. Mine is from 1952, a Wedgewood. To replace it with something as nice would cost me thousands. I've adjusted the flame myself and turned my burners in to flame throwers. My dream rig would be a 1950s rig with 6 burners and 2 ovens in RED. Still less expensive that what you're looking at and will last another 50 years EASY.

http://www.antiquestoves.com/

http://www.classicstoves.com/

Senior Biggles
Guest_rexmo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the moisture of combustion with gas compare with the drying effect that drawing combustion air through the oven introduces?

I'm getting a very crisp crust on loaves in my gas oven, but I do have it set up sor tof hearth style with the stone on the top rack, and a pan of ice cubes on the bottom rack.

The gas broiler rules.
Dr. Biggles

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest_rexmo wrote:
How does the moisture of combustion with gas compare with the drying effect that drawing combustion air through the oven introduces?

I'm getting a very crisp crust on loaves in my gas oven, but I do have it set up sor tof hearth style with the stone on the top rack, and a pan of ice cubes on the bottom rack.

The gas broiler rules.

Hi,

I don't know. However, I don't believe the the combustion air flow is enough for any drying effect to take place. It would have to be more along the lines of a convection oven, some movement of air. If you were to put a wind sock in your oven, I doubt if you'd see it move due to air flow.

Try this. Make a waffle, crispy and nice or even a crisp piece of toast. Turn your oven on to warm, or 200 degrees. Come back in fifteen minutes, so.

You won't find soggy stuff at higher temperatures. I keep a pizza stone and a clay tile in my oven at all times, keeps stuff even.

Biggles
irly

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went gas (propane) cooktop & one convection oven. I wish I had also gotten an warming drawer.
On the cook top check the spacing of the burners. I often use a very large pot which doesn't allow the use of two other burners.
I also purchased a griddle which covers 2 burners which is great. Also a slow simmer plate.
Chose the gas cooktop mainly because where I live we get frequent power outages. (lots of trees) I can make a cup of tea or feed the family in spite of no electricity. makes for romantic dining by candlight.
My new home also boasts propane fireplace and hot water.
irly

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When planning the kitchen, a much harder job than I expected, I also wanted a walk in pantry. If you have the space I recommend it and install a small fridge too. When unexpected guests arrive I can just go 'shopping' Also had a deep sink installed so I could wash the garden produce, before putting in the fridge, and the dog (small) too!
Fridge? My main fridge is all fridge with a small freezer for ice cream & ice. My deep freeze, upright, I keep in the laundry area only a few steps away.
Good luck in your deliberations.
Johneegeek_repost

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kitchen Suggestions Reply with quote

It's getting even harder...*sigh*

My wife really wants 'pull out' cutting boards, and apparently our cabinet manufacturer does not do that any more for "health reasons" --- I guess they think we won't wash it?!

So we now might have to find a new cabinet company. Geez.
Dr. Biggles wrote:
You may also consider a rebuilt antique stove. Mine is from 1952, a Wedgewood. To replace it with something as nice would cost me thousands. I've adjusted the flame myself and turned my burners in to flame throwers. My dream rig would be a 1950s rig with 6 burners and 2 ovens in RED. Still less expensive that what you're looking at and will last another 50 years EASY.

Those antique stoves are awesome! I don't think my wife will go for that though. She wants a more modern look.
I am going to see what she thinks of those though.
That's the real hard part.... finding things that we both like. :wink:
Dr. Biggles

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kitchen Suggestions Reply with quote

Johneegeek_repost wrote:
It's getting even harder...*sigh*

My wife really wants 'pull out' cutting boards, and apparently our cabinet manufacturer does not do that any more for "health reasons" --- I guess they think we won't wash it?!

So we now might have to find a new cabinet company. Geez.
Dr. Biggles wrote:

Those antique stoves are awesome! I don't think my wife will go for that though. She wants a more modern look.
I am going to see what she thinks of those though.
That's the real hard part.... finding things that we both like. :wink:

Yeah, that's why when we agree on something, it's what SHE likes. Which is fine.

The problem with those pull out cutting boards was the fact people would wash them fine, then push them back in. They wouldn't dry quickly enough and the nasties would pravalate in there. Such as what my uncle does. The cutting boards are stained GREEN from moldies. Surprised that would have been a deal breaker with the wife. Ah well, you'll find someone who will make them.

If not, have the manufacturer leave ROOM for them and put them in yourself. They can be really handy. OoOOoo, you could have bamboo boards made ...
Johneegeek_repost

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kitchen Suggestions Reply with quote

Dr. Biggles wrote:
The problem with those pull out cutting boards was the fact people would wash them fine, then push them back in. They wouldn't dry quickly enough and the nasties would pravalate in there. Such as what my uncle does. The cutting boards are stained GREEN from moldies. Surprised that would have been a deal breaker with the wife. Ah well, you'll find someone who will make them.

If not, have the manufacturer leave ROOM for them and put them in yourself. They can be really handy. OoOOoo, you could have bamboo boards made ...

Actually the real reason my wife wants the pull out cutting board is so she can place stuff on it after she removes things from the oven.
(She wants one next to the ovens, and one next to the sink)

A bamboo board... Hmmmm -- I wonder how hard that will be to put one in?
That's a cool idea.
Dr. Biggles

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kitchen Suggestions Reply with quote

Johneegeek_repost wrote:
Actually the real reason my wife wants the pull out cutting board is so she can place stuff on it after she removes things from the oven.
(She wants one next to the ovens, and one next to the sink)

A bamboo board... Hmmmm -- I wonder how hard that will be to put one in?
That's a cool idea.

Oh criminy man. That isn't what those things are intended for. What you're looking for is this, "An insanely sturdy pull-out support".

What you need to do is call those people back and see if they can do THAT. Make the thing large enough for a 1/4 sheet baking tray, strong enough to hold a 50 lb turkey filled with stuffing and roaster. You can start with 1" plywood, wrap the surface and sides in 18 gauge stainless steel. You 'could' have it slide out on rollers, but make DAMNED sure you have a decent locking mechanism to hold it in place when it is fully extended. You don't want to bump it and send it sliding back in with your cookies on it.

Biggles
Johneegeek_repost

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kitchen Suggestions Reply with quote

Dr. Biggles wrote:
What you need to do is call those people back and see if they can do THAT. Make the thing large enough for a 1/4 sheet baking tray, strong enough to hold a 50 lb turkey filled with stuffing and roaster. You can start with 1" plywood, wrap the surface and sides in 18 gauge stainless steel. You 'could' have it slide out on rollers, but make DAMNED sure you have a decent locking mechanism to hold it in place when it is fully extended. You don't want to bump it and send it sliding back in with your cookies on it.

*laugh* I had this same conversation with my wife.

I said:
"You want to place stuff on it?! -- I don't think it'll be strong enough for that, you wouldn't want hot food falling on your feet!!"

She said:
"My Mother has never had a problem with Her's....and she puts a turkey on it!"

Anyway, I'm following your suggestion and trying to see if they can build in something that really is designed for this.

She still is upset that they couldn't add something She wanted, so a cutting board, at least, by the sink is now a necessity! :wink:
I'm really wondering if we could get a bamboo one now....
Dr. Biggles

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kitchen Suggestions Reply with quote

Johneegeek_repost wrote:
Anyway, I'm following your suggestion and trying to see if they can build in something that really is designed for this.

She still is upset that they couldn't add something She wanted, so a cutting board, at least, by the sink is now a necessity! :wink:
I'm really wondering if we could get a bamboo one now....

It can be tough getting maximum usable utility out of your kitchen. Especially when it's small and/or you're dealing with a limited budget. I've got an awful lot of cool stuff and two prep areas in my little kitchen. It's kinda mish mash though, I don't have the money to have someone come in and take care of things. My next big thing will be putting in new counters. I wanted stainless, but my wife flat out refused. Too much like the kitchen she used to bake in at some large bakery in SF. Back to the drawring board.
I would like to get a dual electric oven set up, but I'd lose my portable dishwasher (no room for a built-in rig). Decisions decisions.

What I've been up to lately is lighting. I find that lighting has done more for my workable areas than anything else. Traditionally there is the light in the center of the ceiling (nearly worthless) and the light over the sink area (cute). I took out the light over the kitchen and jacked in two spots, one for the sink area and one shoots down over the longest counter space and cabinets. A clamp-on flood light goes over the second prep area either directly or reflected off the ceiling for a nicer attitude. Two weekends ago I found some low voltage xenon (or something like that) under-the-cabinet lighting system. Now the longest counter is really well lit up, looks nice and highlights jarred beans and my Crosley Table Radio. I need to install a 3rd low voltage light to highlight the 3rd batch of magnetic knife holders (holds steel spatulas and scrapers). My next venture will be another few of those lights for the main prep and cooking area. I like the idea of being able to do anything in the kitchen, without the main lights on.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum